2 pin sockets+13amp plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some time ago I had a 4/6way 2 pin socket outlet that was connected to the mains by a 13amp plug. This was used by me to do away with 13amp plugs on my hi fi equipment and using 2pin plugs instead.

Can anybody direct me to a supplier?

charles14

Sponsored Links
It will be hard to get equipment like this in UK as the outlets need to be shuttered and most of these are made for Europe where it seems they have more relaxed rules allowing both reversible plugs and two pin maybe because they required RCD protection on all sockets much earlier then in UK.

Places like RS Components do sell units that comply with UK regs but once you see the price I think you will change your mind.

I normally pick up items like that when I am on holiday and I would say that is likely best option. I got extension lead with 4 sockets from Turkey then when I got home cut lead in half but British 4 way socket bar on plug and British plug on sockets so can use German Schuko plugs at home. And use British stuff when abroad.

Since I have some plug in transformers with Schuko plugs this is very handy.

As I said at
42248733.jpg
£11.12 with a further £7.48 for the plugs and £4 for socket to just get 4 outlets you are looking at over £40.

With
108607605-40.jpg
these then one of
1789567-40.jpg
becomes 6 way and at £5.64 + 3 x 0.61 = £7.07 which is more reasonable but still would think talking to some one going on holiday is easy way.

Sponsored Links
When you consider you can get a 4 way adaptor for 13A plugs from poundland they are all over priced. However must admit the examples you have found takes over charging to new limits. And we worried about bankers bonuses?

Sorry Ericmark that I didnt explain myself properly.
Your latest solution seems perfect but where do I buy such a plug.

The only sources i'm aware of are CPC ( http://cpc.farnell.com/permaplug/p41/multiway-4-into-1-plug-13-amp/dp/PL00290?Ntt=muliway+plug ) and RS ( http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=3255966 ). Unfortunately suppliers like that tend to have either substantial minimum order values or substantial small order charges (CPC have the latter, not sure about RS).

google shopping turns up a couple of other sources but none of them are companies i've ever had dealings with http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=...t=iceweasel-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

When you consider you can get a 4 way adaptor for 13A plugs from poundland they are all over priced. However must admit the examples you have found takes over charging to new limits. And we worried about bankers bonuses?

Yeeesssss have you ever looked at the quality of those things, let alone what happens when you pull 13A through them.

Yeeesssss have you ever looked at the quality of those things, let alone what happens when you pull 13A through them.
Must be better than these
Adaptor-old.jpg
and one on right looks unfused. We all see these
Adaptors.JPG
adaptors all look the same at quick glance but left one has max of 1A fuse centre can take 13A fuse and on right unfused and will let one draw full 32A. In comparison the Poundland 4 way socket extension is good.

There does seem to be a problem with the 13A plug since the safety plastic bits were added to the pins and if any weight is hung from the socket it can compress the plastic and allow the plug to become at an angle to the socket. With the milli-amp draw with phone chargers and like they seem to cope but the socket can still be damaged and latter plugging high current items into same socket can cause problems.

The cheap 4 way Poundland adaptors do remove the weight from the socket with all the plugs and adaptors being on the floor. Even when it does not reach the floor it they reduce the leverage on the socket. And they are maintenance free with no screws to work loose so can't really see a problem with them if used as intended by manufacturer.

In theory they don't comply as you can plug a 13A plug in upside down and hence open the shutters without a plug to guard holes. This was one of the points made with those daft bits of plastic one can plug into sockets they say to make them safe but in fact they just serve to disable the built in safety of our sockets. The square 4 socket adaptors and those where plugs enter at 45 degs are really the only types that comply and will not allow one to plug in upside down. I understand they are very careful with schools to ensure this type is only type used. But we would hope at home we can use a little common sense.

The way health and safety is going we will be bringing back the man with red flag to walk in front of cars soon.

ok, ok, those are even worse, I still prefer to spend an extra quid or so on somthing a bit better,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back