2 storey extension

OK so where do i apply for building notice's ?

Will my builder do the calculation or is it something i do?

Sponsored Links
Assuming Leeds City Council is your local authority, then you can download the form here...

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2007/2009/51/building notice 2010.pdf

The fee's for the works you mentioned will be calculated on an "estimated cost of work" basis, so you'd need to refer to this document...

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2007/2009/51/sch 3 2010 .pdf

The Building Notice fee is the Plan and Inspection fee combined. The complete fee is paid upon deposit of the Building Notice.

If your builder is also qualified in carrying out structural calculations, then that's fine. If not, you will have to engage a structural engineer to carry out the necessary details/calculations for you.

DevilDamo

Wouldn't u recommend getting plans drawn up then? They would serve the purpose of getting accurate quotations off builders etc, ensuring the builder builds what the client wants + also you can submit for Bldg Regs approval with them also.

Knowing some of the builders that are about, building something that size with a building notice...........you would want as much clarity as possible, don't leave any grey areas for the builder bigpkr.

Ensure you get the Permitted Development approval / ok in black + white also.

ok so ive never done an extension that require all this before so could you do me a step by step guide for what i do in what order?

1) get drawings done to whats getting changed
2) get building notice and PD forms done?

I really have no idea!!

Sponsored Links
Apologies. I've crossed wires a bit. The Building Notice advice was referring to the structural works you were talking about in your other thread (removal of chimney and load bearing wall). However, if you will be doing the extension and structual work at the same time, you may as well include the chimney/load bearing works on the Full Plans application with the extension.

For the actual extension works, yes... you would have proper plans drawn up for planning approval and/or building regulation approval, which would be in the form of a Full Plans application.

bigkpr... I'll give you a summary of what to do and in what order.

1. Obtain written confirmation that your proposals do not require planning approval (i.e. they are within permitted development). I recall your planning department saying there was a £30 charge for this?

2. Engage an architect/technician to put together some working (building regulation) drawings for you. These would provide you with as existing and as proposed plans/elevations as well as details (if necessary).

3. Once those drawings are complete, ask the architect/technician to submit a Full Plans application for you. You will then need to provide a cheque, which will take care of Building Control's plan (checking) fee.

4. Once Building Control are in receipt of your application and fee, they'll send you a confirmation letter and will then tell you they have x amount of weeks (usually 5) to give you a decision. It's usually a lot sooner than that and in the mean time they may come back to you (or the architect/technician) with any queries/comments they may have with the drawings.

5. Once you have submitted the application, you can start works, but some people prefer to wait to receive the official approval from the Building Control department.

6. You can then call the Building Control Officer out at any time to inspect the different stages of the work (i.e. foundation excavation, foundation concrete, oversite, DPC, etc...). The different stages will be detailed in their letter. If you're unsure, give them a call. Once works commence on site or the building control officer carried out their first visit, you will then be billed for the inspections, which is a fixed price no matter how many times you call them at the council or call them out to site.

7. However, if you will be getting outside people to build the extension, you'd want them to provide quotations based on the building regulation drawings. If I were you, I would wait until you receive the approval from the Building Control department before these drawings go out to tender because you don't really want to send the initial drawings out for a quotation, get prices and then find Building Control have asked for more or additional details, which would make the builders' quotes invalid. Unless... the contractors' provide you with a round figure and regardless whether or not you obtain Building Regulation approval, their price will stay the same.

I hope that makes sense.

2. Engage an architect/technician to put together some working (building regulation) drawings for you. These would provide you with as existing and as proposed plans/elevations as well as details (if necessary).

3. Once those drawings are complete, ask the architect/technician to submit a Full Plans application for you. You will then need to provide a cheque, which will take care of Building Control's plan (checking) fee.

This is where I offer my services again bigpkr ;)

Yeh why don't you get peca27 involved to carry out the planning/building regulation services on your behalf? Saves you the hassle and headache in which a professional does day in, day out.

This is where I offer my services again bigpkr ;)

OK might be something to consider.

Can you send me your detials so we can talk.

bigpkr

Let me know your contact no./e-mail + we can take things from there.

peca27... I'm sure we can work out some sort of commission ;)

I'd be happy to oblige DevilDamo, you've given useful advice. We should always look out for one another.

I'll let you know if I take on the job.

Dont be adding it onto my fee!!

What sort of price do plans cost?

My architectural fee, based upon what has been discussed + without seeing the site in any detail etc, would be £800. That includes drawing up the plans, then once you're happy with them I would submit them to Leeds Building Control. Then if any changes / revisions etc are required, I will do them with no additional charge.

You then have the Building Control charges, a plan charge (payable when the application is submitted) and an Inspection Charge (payable when the Inspector comes out to site to check progress). Fees are taken from:

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Business/Building_control/Building_Regulation_Charges.aspx

Also make an allowance for a Structural Engineer cost, he produces the beam calculations etc.

You may also require a Party Wall Agreement.

Like I say drop me a mail if your interested + we can set up a meeting. Depending how quickly you want to get the ball rolling, I am available this Saturday to start FYI

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back