2 storey extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking into putting an extension on back of my house the idea one i want i know prob wont get passed, it would be 2 storey but on the boundry with the attached house (only a semi house) but other clearences are right, 7.89 meters from bottom of garden to end of new extension, 3 meters out from house (could i get more ?)

Have a look ayt this quick plan ive done.

reargardenextensionplan.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you have shown only part of the size of your existing house. The size of the existing house will have some impact on Planner Officer decisions.

Your best route with such big plans is to have a session with an Architect to knock the ideas around on what is and is not likely to be approved in your area.

Yeah thats just a section of the house.

You think i should do a plan of the whole plot?

Just trying to get a rough idea if it would pass then ill bring in the planners etc, no one on the street has an extension on the rear just connys.

It's very difficult to say whether or not it is likely to receive planning approval without knowing the history of the house, site and existing area.

A factor that plays a big part in extending the existing house is Outlook, Privacy and Daylight, which is usually an SPG (Supplementary Planning Guidance) document issued by the local authority. Part of this document is the 45 degree rule, which means the proposed extension cannot project beyond a 45 degree line if drawn from the centre line of a window to a habitable room (in the neighbouring property). If you could provide a photo of the rear of your house, I could hazard a guess as to how far you may be able to extend.

In these situations, it's easier and there stands more of a chance of receiving planning approval if both houses did it together as the 45 degree rule wouldn't apply (if it's a pair of semi's for example).

It may be worth sending in some sketches to your local planning department for their pre-application advice. Some LA's charge for this advice but it's worth it in the long run. At least you'll then have some idea as to what may/may not be approved.

Sponsored Links
You think i should do a plan of the whole plot?
Yep extend your sketch to show your whole house outline and ideally your neighbours on it to. Then you can at least get some feedback of a sort in the forum from someone who may have that type of experience.

No one on the street has an extension on the rear just connys.
That is not good news because by the sound of it you will be the first to test the response of the planners for your area and have no other existing ones to give you any help!

If you send in any sketches as DevilDamo suggests the more info on them the better. I have no idea if your planning dept will give you any feedback without an application though. It won't harm to try !

bigpkr if you've got the scenario you've drawn (and bearing in mind a few assumptions) you should hopefully get planning approval on a full width lower storey + 1/2 width second storey extension.......to the rear and ltd to 3m. As nobody else has a rear extension, this won't exclude your proposal......you've just got to get the design correct.

You won't get it on permitted development (as you're wanting to go full width on the ground floor) and you may need a party wall agreement.

If you're interested, I work as a Technician + live just outside Leeds........if you need somebody to draw up your plans and make the Planning + Bldg Regs submissions etc. give me a shout + we can arrange to meet. I'm quite at the moment + would be interested in something like this.

bigpkr if you've got the scenario you've drawn (and bearing in mind a few assumptions) you should hopefully get planning approval on a full width lower storey + 1/2 width second storey extension.......to the rear and ltd to 3m. As nobody else has a rear extension, this won't exclude your proposal......you've just got to get the design correct.

You won't get it on permitted development (as you're wanting to go full width on the ground floor) and you may need a party wall agreement.

If you're interested, I work as a Technician + live just outside Leeds........if you need somebody to draw up your plans and make the Planning + Bldg Regs submissions etc. give me a shout + we can arrange to meet. I'm quite at the moment + would be interested in something like this.

Thats great thanks.

The extension started out as full width 1 storey then though will im doing it ill do half floor upstairs then it turned into full 2 storey extension :eek:

It does depend on the adjoining house but it is unlikely you will get approval for a full width two storey extension.

I think your best option is to build full width single storey projecting not more than 3m from the back of your house, and then build two storey above that but keeping 2m or more from the adjoining boundary. All that can be done under permitted development. (providing you are not in a conservation area etc.)

You could ask the planning department for guidance but I'll bet you a month's beer tokens the response will be negative and will just be a waste of time and money.

PS: There is a small glitch with that scheme: If you can't get some intermediate support in then you will need a pretty substantial beam to take the point load from the upper return wall. My experience is these normally work out at 254x146x31 ...ish. It's doable but that is a bit of a monster for a domestic.

devildemo the history of the house is 1950's semi which started out life as a pebble dash then converted in 1986 to a airey house.

Here is some photos of the rear and a 2nd plan of the plot and next door.

Im starting to think ill end up with full width downstairs and 1/2 upstairs but the other half upstairs was going to be another bedroom so pretty important but lets see what happens.

Ive sent the first diagram to the council to see what they say.

SNV30581.jpg

SNV30579.jpg

SNV30577.jpg

reargardenextensionplan2.jpg

Also the boundry does go round the outbuilding as its all mine but look like half is in next doors garden well it is but its part of my land

Jeds

Are you sure a full width (from neighbours boundary to other side of a property) extension is allowable under permitted development?

Forget the 2 storey element here....... I was under the impression that permitted development only allowed a rear extension if it's 1/2 the width of the house (approx) + yes it can be 2 storey. But if you want to go upto the boundary it's a planning approval requried.

Maybe I've missed something here?

Single storey can be full width on the rear. (subject to other conditions) I think you're confusing with side extensions which can only be half width of house.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonextensionreal/

An extension or addition to your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

- Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house

That's the only part that refers to (side) extensions being no more than half the width of the original house.

DevilDamo

Let's be clear on this, I'm not trying to clarify the situation on SIDE extensions......correct me if I'm wrong, the original poster bigpkr questioned a REAR extension proposal.

I'm not sure how this SIDE extension confusion began, I know I didn't start it anyway.

I'm trying to clarify the position on REAR extensions. What is allowable under permitted development + what isn't.

In your first post on this thread, you said...

You won't get it on permitted development (as you're wanting to go full width on the ground floor)

The proposed extension is to the "rear" so why can't it be full width under PD? PD refers to "side" extensions being no more than half the width of the original house.

So the original poster is asking about a rear extension and you're talking about a PD rule that applies to side extensions, not rear extensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back