2 storey extension

As far as I can see that document agrees with what I said. The only reference I see to limiting extensions to half the width is in relation to side extensions.

Sponsored Links
DevilDamo

Sounds like crossed wires here....... the original poster was asking about full width on a rear extension....... and I wrote

"you should hopefully get planning approval on a full width lower storey + 1/2 width second storey extension.......to the rear and ltd to 3m"

therefore I used that terminology thinking we're all talking about a rear extension only.

Anyway........have u had a look at the mini guide link I posted? It doesn't indicate on there a full width rear extension is allowable under permitted development.

That guide is a copy of the Permitted Development guide my local council use. It shows only half the width as a single or double storey extension.

I'd appreciate a link/permitted development clause indicating that I'm wrong........I'll hold my hands up, would just like to know what the situation is.

Any advice from others would also be appreciated ;)

I'd appreciate a link/permitted development clause indicating that I'm wrong........I'll hold my hands up, would just like to know what the situation is.

Such a clause doesn't exist.

The fact is that you can build full width on the rear. There is a 2m to boundary restriction but that only applies to two storey extensions. There is a maximum half width of house restriction but that only applies to side extensions. For a rear extension you can build full width of original house wall as long as you do not project more than 3m. (4m for a detached house)

Of course this is all subject to other restrictions but I can't see any in this situation (the OPs situation) that would change the above.

I'm still not sure what it is that is leading you to think rear extensions are limited to half width. Which particular part of the document makes you think that.

Anyway........have u had a look at the mini guide link I posted? It doesn't indicate on there a full width rear extension is allowable under permitted development.

That guide is a copy of the Permitted Development guide my local council use. It shows only half the width as a single or double storey extension.

Yes I have a looked at that guide many times as well as the other PD links on the PP website. The reason it doesn't physically "show" a full width rear extension is because the guide's for illustrative purposes only. There are other graphical examples that aren't 100% correct but the descriptive text on that same page/slide backs that up.

The only slide that refers to extension width is...

pd_side_extension.png

On the other slides that show a rear extension, you can go full width on the rear as it doesn't state you can't. The picture may not show a full width rear extension but that's neither here nor there. It's the picture AND the text that has to be read in conjunction with eachother.

Sponsored Links
This is proving useful

DevilDamo

As u say the slide doesn't specifically say you can or can't have a full width rear extension. When you say the pic AND the text need to be read in conjunction with each other.........I may be being a bit thick but, which pic + text are u referring to? B'cos slide 6 doesn't help me much.

Jeds

It's more the document I've got (from my local council), without referring to it specifically it only shows diagram of a half width single + double storey extension.

I've made another enquiry + he agrees with u guys, that it should be ok for a full width extension, but again he is attempting to get confirmation also. I hold my hands up, it's looking like you were correct........at least I have learnt something. ;)

I may be being a bit thick but, which pic + text are u referring to? B'cos slide 6 doesn't help me much.

With regards to PD on single storey extensions...

Slides 6 and 7 talk about side extensions.

Slide 8 talks about side/rear extensions.

Slides 9 and 10 talk about rear extensions.

Slide 11 talks about side/rear extensions.

The "no more than half the width of the original house" is mentioned on Slide 6 (i.e. for a side extension).

Glad we cleared that up :D

So any idea? i have had letter from leeds city counicl saying they will be giving me pre-application advice so im sure i will get my answer in time.

Im assuming they will come back with full lower width ok with 1/2 upstairs but away from the attached house, which makes another problem for me, on the lower floor i was hoping to use 4-5 meters of folding sliding doors which would mean a rsj full width of the extension but then if i want to build on top and back to the house it would require some very big rsj's but i will get my builder to look into it.

devildamo did you have a look at them photos?

DevilDamo

I know what the slides show as I'm looking at them, altho appreciate the description. ;)

My point was if you're saying I should read the text + pics together.........how does that confirm that a full width rear extension is allowable?

The point is, as jeds reminds us, such a clause/description doesn't seem to exist.

Good luck bigpkr, you're gonna need a bldg regs application, a structural engineer + I'd look at a party wall agreement if you need it.

bigpkr... I would just wait and see what they come back with because their requirements may differ from that over here. However, the PD rules should still apply. It's just anything else. I did look at the photo's and I was looking at it from a full planning application point of view and if your LA adopt the 45 degree rule, etc... But as mentioned before, see what your LA say about it first. As for your "problem" you mentioned... I'm not really sure what you mean? If you go full width on the ground floor and only half above, then you wouldn't necessarily build on top of this RSJ as it'd be roof. I'd need to see some kind of sketch as to what you're talking about :)

peca27... Apologies. Neither of the slides actually confirm you can go full width on the rear but neither of the slides say you can't, which one would assume you can... which is what we have been saying :) If it says you can't, then you can't do it. If it doesn't mention it, then assume you can do it :)

Reply from the coucil

This advice would be relevant to your own proposal and with this in mind I would be of the opinion that a part two storey part single storey rear extension of a projection of 3m would be possible at your property. This would consist of a full width single storey extension with a reduced width first floor section above which should be kept at least 2m away from the neighbouring side boundary with the property next door.

So as we thought they would say but it does go on to say that what i have suggested might get approved but the above would definatly get approval.

What did you ask them... if your proposals fall within PD?

No just for some pre planning advice if a 2 storey 3 meter extension would pass planning permission.

Are you sure because it sounds like they're telling you what can be done under Permitted Development (i.e. projection/depth of 3m, reduced first floor, which is to be min. 2m from the boundary)?

yeah because the email i sent was pre-application advice, so my question was would it be likley for planning to be passed for a 3 meter full width 2 storey extension to the rear in my area?

I sent an email back asking if that type of extension would be done under permitted development and this is the reply today.

An extension of the nature I described can, in most circumstances, be constructed under permitted development rights. If you would like confirmation of this our Development Enquiry Centre offer a Permitted Development Enquiry Service for a fee of £30. A PD Enquiry form can be downloaded from our website.

Although there are examples of two storey rear extensions without this set back they would have been granted planning permission because of special circumstances which aren't present in this instance. The main reason for extensions of this nature being granted planning permission on properties such as your own is the presence of an extension on the adjoining neighbouring property which is to be affected by a proposal. The presence of a neighbouring extension can often absorb much of any impact over the neighbouring site.

Please note that this advice is officer opinion only and will not formally prejudice the outcome of a formal planning application.

Also does anyone know about knocking chimneys out or replacing supporting walls? if so check out my other thread in BUILDING

Sounds ok then :)

As for chimneys/supporting walls... any structural work is subject to a Buidling Regulation application (namely a Building Notice) and is to be backed up by structural calculations/details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back