2 story extensions and your experiences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm looking for advice, tips, experience etc on extensions. We've just had plans drawn up for a 2 story rear extension and single story side extension. Upstairs this will give us an additional bedroom with ensuite and make our existing bathroom larger. Downstairs we'll create an open plan kitchen/dining/family room, utility room and study/music room.

We're very new to this and because it's a very expensive build, we can't afford to make mistakes, which makes making decisions difficult for us! In the past when we've had work done, things have been overlooked which we thought tradesmen should've picked up on and we just don't want this to happen on an expensive build! So any suggestions, tips, experience, things to consider/ look out for much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it's a very expensive build, we can't afford to make mistakes, which makes making decisions difficult for us

don't want this to happen on an expensive build!

If it's a very expensive build, presumaby you've had a very expensive architect who should be the one advising you and pre-empting any potentially very expensive oversights.

When you pay someone to prepare plans, you are not paying for a few bits of paper, but are paying for a design process, which includes taking your needs and incorporating them into a workable, buildable and economic design ....... which then just happens to need printing on paper.

Go back to the plan drawer and ask him what he has done, and why

Agree with the guys.

The more detail you get in the drawings the more value you get from the builder.

Sponsored Links
If only life was so simple, in my neck 'o' the woods money talks, 99% of my clients would rather use a cheaper designer & then encounter issues during the build process.

I'm constantly showing examples of my previous work & explaining the value of a practicle spec & design.......it goes in one ear & out the other.

make sure the plans are put in for full building regs approval and not a notice, this will mean that a full working drawing is approved. You could ask architect to prepare a specification of works and contract documents which will clearly set out whats to be priced on and included, this way you can control your budget and know whats included and what isn't

Hello, I'm looking for advice, tips, experience etc on extensions. We've just had plans drawn up for a 2 story rear extension and single story side extension. Upstairs this will give us an additional bedroom with ensuite and make our existing bathroom larger. Downstairs we'll create an open plan kitchen/dining/family room, utility room and study/music room.

We're very new to this and because it's a very expensive build, we can't afford to make mistakes, which makes making decisions difficult for us! In the past when we've had work done, things have been overlooked which we thought tradesmen should've picked up on and we just don't want this to happen on an expensive build! So any suggestions, tips, experience, things to consider/ look out for much appreciated!

Thanks

What kind of things have you had missed in previous building works?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back