2 switches and 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am trying to wire the above - with one switch on one wall - and another on a far wall - with the 2 lights in the "middle" (come and go). Can somebody point me a webpage where I can see a diagram of what I need to do? I would ideally like the least number of wire between the two. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply but I cannot see an example of what I asked for.....

leighv said:
Thanks for the reply but I cannot see an example of what I asked for.....

look harder it is there.

clue: pretend the switches are one upstairs and one downstairs

Sponsored Links
2way-switching.gif

This is breezer's diagram - first page of for reference. 2 switches, as you require, only thing is you need 2 lights. Easy. From light 1 (shown) copy the wiring to the lamp to the second lamp. If you aren't having ceiling roses, use a junction box instead, in the loft, but "accessible".

If you dont understand this, phone your local sparks and get a few quotes.

Thanks for that, but it really isn't exactly what I was after.

I have one switch - then two lights - and then one switch - i.e. the distance between the switches is significantly more than between the either of the two switches and the lights. Therefore, I was trying to determine how many pieces of cable I had to run between: switch a and light a, light a and light b, lightb and switch b and switch a and switch b. Thanks.

leighv said:
Thanks for that, but it really isn't exactly what I was after..

from the information you have supplied it is exactly what you need. if you can not see this, i suggest you are not competant to do the job.

for your own saftey, please get an electrician

leighv, there is a method for what you need in FOR REFERENCE. It involves wiring each switch to a light IIRC, but it is slightly more complex, involves a bit of thinking to see how it works.

It is advisable to know how these things work before you tackle them. I wouldn't tackle it myself.

Look in for reference. Its on page 2 or 3 i think. But i have given you the easiest method above.

I found it

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=35

lectrician's summary of different methods. Choose one. But if you're not using conduit, dont choose the conduit method ;)

theres

lamps.png

which will save you a bit over more conventional methods (the runs between the switches and between the lights will be twin and earth rather than 3 and earth) but not a great deal.

i don't think its really possible to do any better than this, you could adust this wiring such that you had a drop of 3+E to each switch and then two runs of T&E between the lights but that would be a pain to wire at the lights and wouldn't really gain you much.

Thank you for all your answers.....

I would like to put a spanner in the works - as such.....

The reason I asked the original question was because I have 2 lights operated by one switch. That's simple enough. All cables are enclosed and hence any new cable that needs to be added will cause an enormous amount of work and mess. The length between switch light(a) is about 4 metres. The length between light(a) and light(b) is about 4 metres. The distance between light (b) and prposed switch (b) is another 3 metres. All switches and lights are in a straight line - with no feed to additional lights needed. I have a straight piece of wire from the consumer box to switch(a) where I then feed the next switch in another room.

So I would ideally like to add the least length of cable as poss in order to make this a 2 switch installation (ideally from light(b) and switch (b). Hope that is clear!!!

run a 3C+E (3core and earth) wire from switch 1 to switch 2.

And use 2no. 2-way switches.

Either chase out your plaster walls or use conduit or trunking between the switches.

Thats it. No easier way to do it. No other way that uses less cable. Hope this is clear too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back