2 gang switch to control 2 lights

Sponsored Links
does the above look ok?
Yes apart from a lack of CPC, but overall it doesn't make sense what you are proposing.
The seems nothing wrong with the current ceiling rose arrangement why
alter it?
And why use 1.5mm cable - you don't need it.
Appears to me that you just want to fiddle for the sake of it!!

What you propose does seem odd, the only advantage is that you will only have one cable at the centre light - which can make wiring awkward fittings up easier.

If you wanted to, you could wire the wall lights so there's only one cable at each light, and both cables go back to the junction box.

But if you're just do this for the sake of it, it could be a bit pointless.

Sponsored Links
It seems total pointless to me! The only advantage the OP has expressed is that there will be less cables in the ceiling void of their new floor?
Ceiling voids are used for running services through, sounds like meddling and meddling with stuff that the OP has very little understanding of!
Where the outstanding advantages are to have less or no joints in ceiling void, if things are to be improved? That is what I would be improving on.

whs.gif

What you propose does seem odd, the only advantage is that you will only have one cable at the centre light - which can make wiring awkward fittings up easier.

If you wanted to, you could wire the wall lights so there's only one cable at each light, and both cables go back to the junction box.

But if you're just do this for the sake of it, it could be a bit pointless.

many thanks for all replies. In fact there are two wall lights these ate joined together. I take it i could take both wires from the junction box switch terminal and go to each light? So in parellel rather than series.

The reason i only want switched supplies in cieling as easier for me as we not sure where lights are going to go exactly and wont till quite late on. I.e after bedroom is done. So doing this way means easy to modify / move if needed. It may seem nuts but there is some method in my madness i think.........

Basically planned putting all 5 junction boxes for downstairs lights in cieling void in cupboard under stairs which is close to all ds switches so only the switch wires will go to lights from a central point also makes feed from consumer unit easy.

many thanks for all replies. In fact there are two wall lights these ate joined together. I take it i could take both wires from the junction box switch terminal and go to each light? So in parellel rather than series.
No, both are in parallel and either way will make no difference.

The reason i only want switched supplies in cieling as easier for me as we not sure where lights are going to go exactly and wont till quite late on. I.e after bedroom is done.
Then alter things later.
There's no point altering it now in case you have to alter it later.

So doing this way means easy to modify / move if needed. It may seem nuts but there is some method in my madness i think.........
No, There is madness in your method,

The reason i only want switched supplies in cieling as easier for me as we not sure where lights are going to go exactly and wont till quite late on. I.e after bedroom is done. So doing this way means easy to modify / move if needed. It may seem nuts but there is some method in my madness i think.........

Basically planned putting all 5 junction boxes for downstairs lights in cieling void in cupboard under stairs which is close to all ds switches so only the switch wires will go to lights from a central point also makes feed from consumer unit easy.
By the heck it just gets worse!!
I'm afraid you're not listening to the advice being given - there is NO method in your madness. Please stop what you are doing.
I'm out!!!

I can see some method.

If each light has just one cable, with a longish length of slack, then they can be fished to a different spot more easily.

It was a standard practice to wire houses, particularly the upstairs floor, like this, with a massive junction box at a central point. Even the 2 way 3 core cables went back to this jb.

If that's what he wants he's not doing anything wrong as such, though I'm not sure I'd be going about it in that fashion.

I can see some method.

If each light has just one cable, with a longish ledifferently k, then they can be fished to a different spot more easily.

It was a standard practice to wire houses, particularly the upstairs floor, like this, with a massive junction box at a central point. Even the 2 way 3 core cables went back to this jb.

If that's what he wants he's not doing anything wrong as such, though I'm not sure I'd be going about it in the fashion.

yes that was my reasoning. But instead of a large junction box, 5 4 or 6 terminal ones. How would you do it differently/ better? Obviously if knew where lights were going exactly then that would be better. But living on a building site with 2 kids means only small bits can be done at a time and services must work at end of day and be safe.

Why do not know where the lights are going?
You can still do loop-in circuits and leave slack on the cable, that will allow for location adjustment.

I can see some method.

If each light has just one cable, with a longish ledifferently k, then they can be fished to a different spot more easily.

If that's what he wants he's not doing anything wrong as such, though I'm not sure I'd be going about it in the fashion.

yes that was my reasoning. But instead of a large junction box, 5 4 or 6 terminal ones. How would you do it differently/ better? Obviously if knew where lights were going exactly then that would be better. But living on a building site with 2 kids means only small bits can be done at a time and services must work at end of day and be safe.

If I was to do it your way, I would use a large plastic enclosure (box) instead of individual junction boxes.

In the enclosure I would either use connector blocks (if accessible) or Wagos (if not accessible).

Trouble is, you will have so many perm lives, neutrals and earths together you will need to fit links between each connector, as you're not going to get them all one connector.

TIP; don't be tempted to use the larger 30 amp connector blocks - 1.0mm2 and probably 1.5mm2 wires will not stay in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back