2 gang switch to control 2 lights

With the op's logic, it would be just as well if the wall lights are wired seperately back to the junction box.

This way, if he's unsure of the positions, there is more scope for alteration. For example, one wall light could be removed completely without it affecting the other one.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
For example, one wall light could be removed completely without it affecting the other one.
As it could if they were not daisy-chained.
... which they wouldn't be if they were all wired to a large semi-local JB.

If they were not being 'daisy-chained' and were not being supplied from a semi-local JB, what are you suggesting - that each light be wired back to the CU? Even if one did that, the issue of the switch wires would not have been addressed.

Kind Regards, John

For example, one wall light could be removed completely without it affecting the other one.

I'm not sure I follow. Possibly I'm mis-reading something.

My point is that if each wall light has one cable at it, then any wall light can easily be removed by disconnecting it at the jb.

If the wall lights are 'daisy chained', like they are now, then removing the wall light with two cables is going to be hard.

Apologies if I have misunderstood.

I'm not sure I follow. Possibly I'm mis-reading something. My point is that if each wall light has one cable at it, then any wall light can easily be removed by disconnecting it at the jb. If the wall lights are 'daisy chained', like they are now, then removing the wall light with two cables is going to be hard.
Quite. I don't think you are misunderstanding - as I see it, both you and BAS seem to be saying that removal of a single light is facilitated by their not being daisy-changed, but BAS has not yet responded to my question as to how they could, in practice, not be daisy-chained unless by use of JBs! If he can't answer that question, then you are both talking about the use of JB(s).

Kind Regards, John

what are you suggesting - that each light be wired back to the CU?
No, to the switch.
Do you know where the switches are going to go?
Maybe I have misunderstood. I had thought that the OP probably not only knows where the switches are to be but wants to get them installed now, with cable drops to them probably chased into walls. Even if the power feed is looped in via the switches, until it is known where the lights will be (and the lights are installed), the cables from those switches which are destined to ultimately go to lights would have to be terminated somewhere, and JB(s) would seem the obvious place. The OP presumably doesn't want to have to dig up walls (so that a cable can be run directly from light to switch) each time he decides where a light is going.

If I understand correctly, the OPs proposal to wire each switch to a large central JB would seem to be the simpler solution, since it would require just a single cable from each switch to the JB, with no 'looping cables' at the switches.

Kind Regards, John

In the interim, what will he do with cables from the JB to lights-which-he-knows-not-where that he could not do with cables from the switches to the lights?

In the interim, what will he do with cables from the JB to lights-which-he-knows-not-where that he could not do with cables from the switches to the lights?
Again, maybe I have misunderstood, but I thought that his idea was to terminate cables from switches at the JB, and then add the cables from JB to lights when it is known where they are going.

Kind Regards, John

So he'll need to get access to the JB, and under the floor to run the cables to the lights.

He could just as well access coiled up cables from the switches, and run them to the lights, and end up without any joints.

I had thought that the OP probably not only knows where the switches are to be but wants to get them installed now, with cable drops to them probably chased into walls.
Conduit, if he doesn't want to install the cables just yet.

Not sure where this discussion is going.

The point of the post was he wanted to re-use the narrow switch conduit,
hence why he wants to use a 3 core and earth cable (again), so he won't be 'feeding' the wall lights directly from the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back