2 switches to operate light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have two switches for the landing light, one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top.

I have to turn both of the switches on in order to get the light to work.

I presume they're wired incorrectly, but what shall I expect when removing them? How should they be wired?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There's a few ways to do it, post a pic of each switch connections.

Has it always been like this? Or have you replaced the switches?

There's a few ways to do it, post a pic of each switch connections.

Has it always been like this? Or have you replaced the switches?
It's always been like this, I'll take a photo of the switches tomorrow. Appreciate the help

Sponsored Links
No, but isnt he saying (I think) he has to operate both switches to turn the lights on? No?

This is one of the switches. This controls lounge and landing, right side is landing.

No pictures of other switch just yet.

Screenshot_20231105_213035_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231105_213047_Gallery.jpg

If, and I say if you decide to meddle with the wiring you need to mark the cables , and take another photo before you do anything

That's three switches.

Are you sure the right side one is the landing?
100%. It seems to get a feed from the porch light switch directly behind.

If, and I say if you decide to meddle with the wiring you need to mark the cables , and take another photo before you do anything
Yeah I will, always take plenty of photos before I touch anything.

Actually. I'm not 100%.

I'd forgotten but I did change this switch, as it was 3 switches but 1 previously controlled a light which no longer existed.

I put the wires in the same position as I removed them in the new 2 gang switch and replicated the issue.

I'll take an upto date photo tomorrow... I'd forgotten I'd changed it.

Whichever switch is the problem switch swop the 1 way and 2 way wires around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back