2 Way Light Switch Setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to resolve my brothers 2 way light switch issue, but this one's got me stumped. I have a basic knowledge of how it works (I have had a similar issue at home) but I just can't figure this one out.

He has a light at the top of his stairs with the usual switch at the bottom and another one at the top. The one at the bottom is a 2 gang switch which operates the light at the top and also a hall light at the base of the stairs. The switch at the top is a single gang version.

The wires at the switch at the bottom of the stairs are YELLOW, RED and BLUE. The wires at the top are also YELLOW, RED and BLUE but with additional RED and BLACK wires.

I have tried a tester in various configurations but I haven't had any luck making and sense of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks :eek:)

P.S. I have included some pictures if they help

Sponsored Links
spot the mistake ... no flying earth on the face plate ! make sure font plate is earthed up and sleeved accordingly and earthed to the metal back box

Sponsored Links
The faceplate earth connection 'lug/connection' is part of the faceplate screw hole/housing, so the screw would act as the connection between faceplate and backbox.

I have found a chrome blanking plate where the contact between fixing screw and the plate was comprised by a coating or skin effect on the chrome under the head of the screw. That was solved by counter boring the holes down to the brass. ( no earth terminal on the plate )

So use the earth terminal on the switch plate.

You have a fault and you need to check the voltages on the switch terminals.

1) You turn the power off.

2) You remove the switch and leave it hanging so that you can get to the terminals.

3) You put the power back on.

4) You get hold of the (faulty) switch. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Earth the plate! :!: :!: :!:

i thought that chrome conducted?
so how did a chrome coating stop the earth connection?
probably a laquer coating on the switch.....

Chromium has a conductivity just over half that of copper, so it shouldn't of itself be a problem.

Some brass / chrome accessories are lacquered to prevent the finish from tarnishing by oxidation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back