2 way out PIR?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have 3 PIR sensors in each of the toilets (one toilet per floor) connected in parallel to single extractor fan. The PIR sensors are are LAP AL238, these simply have L/N in and SL/N out.
I'm trying to connect a new bathroom 1 mirror, so it automatically turns on with motion in bathroom 1 ONLY from the same PIR, but because these are connected in parallel, sharing common SL, when there's movement in the other 2 bathrooms, bathrooms 1 mirror would also come on.
Is there such thing as 2 way out PIR sensor or do I need to install another PIR for the mirror, which I really don't want to do.
I also found a slightly older LAP PIR sensor (wiring diagram attached) which unlike my current PIR has L2 to be used for controlling DC or different phase, would that work by any chance?

I welcome any advise.
Thank you!
Sunjat

Attachments

• LAP.jpg
    LAP.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
This sounds like an odd setup.

You have 3 PIRs in separate rooms with their outputs commoned (connected together) feeding just one fan?

Have I got that right?

I cant understand why 3 switches in different rooms are switching power to a single fan.

Why not three independent fans?

If you must do what you describe, it can be done with a relay.
Output from the PIR in the room with the mirror powers the relay coil, relay has 2 sets of contacts, one for the fan and one for the mirror.

This sounds like an odd setup.

You have 3 PIRs in separate rooms with their outputs commoned (connected together) feeding just one fan?

Have I got that right?

I cant understand why 3 switches in different rooms are switching power to a single fan.

Why not three independent fans?

You are spot on Secure Spark.
I have 2 bathrooms and a cloakroom sharing central vent stack, as they are all on top of each other. Each of the rooms has PIR connected in parallel, to turn on central fan. There’s a single extractor fan in the loft for them all. It produces enough suction to pass the “A4 paper sucked to the vent” on the ground floor, so the cloakroom furthers away gets enough suction. Consequently this cloakroom is tiny and already has 2 spot lights, PIR and and vent duct, last thing I want to do is drill another hole and cramp it with 2nd PIR.
I just bought Led Mirror and would like it to be powered upon entry WITHOUT lights, so kids can use it as a night light, but wouldn’t want for the mirror to be on when other rooms above are in use.
I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Sunjat

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you must do what you describe, it can be done with a relay.
Output from the PIR in the room with the mirror powers the relay coil, relay has 2 sets of contacts, one for the fan and one for the mirror.

I see, thank you very much for your advise Flameport!!!
Do you have any relay suggestions, so I know what to look for?
Also, is this the only way? The L2 pin on the spare PIR I found is not suitable?

Sunjat

A relay with a 230V coil, and 2 separate normally open (NO) contacts.

That other PIR is of no use, it still has one output, the only difference is it can be used to switch other voltages as it's not connected to the 230V input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back