2 way switch to new dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there appears to be a mountain of similar queries but unfortunately none that I have read through answer my query.

I have a two-way landing light switch which I wish to replace with a dimmer switch.

The existing switch has 4 red wires (2 x L1 and 2 x L2). However the new dimmer only has 3 connections (switched live and L1 and L2).

So my query is how do I rewire 4 wires into 3 connections on the new dimmer switch?

If someone tells me how to turn on html and post a picture I can do that to make things a bit easier to understand.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you mean that the switch on the landing has 4 terminals, then this is an intermediate switch & you cannot replace it with a dimmer.

why have a dimmer operating a landing light?

if its to stop a bright light shining into a childs room, tough.
buy a plug in night light

You cant turn on HTML, but you can post a picture using BBCode.

And as has been said if this is an intermediate switch, you cant fit a dimmer here.

Be aware of the H&S of fitting a device to reduce the light level on a stairwell, as I think Breezer has hinted at.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back