2-Way Switching in Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone. This is my first post so apologies for any errors.

I currently have a single switch controlling a single lightbulb in my garage. It's a bit dark so I'd like to replace it with two battens. While I'm at it I'd like to put a second switch by the other door (so I'm not staggering around in the dark if use the other door!).

I followed some diagrams on this site and on other websites but it's a little more complex as the power feed is into the switch (rather than the ceiling rose). I've attached a diagram of what I plan to do. Can anyone confirm if I've got the circuit right and the colours?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• garage light 1-Page-1.jpg
    garage light 1-Page-1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 300
Sponsored Links
You can do that, however the junction box is not required, just make the connections at the first switch.

Part P doesn't prohibit anyone from doing electrical work.

Consider led as an alternative to fluorescent
If you have a workbench, one above that, rather than central in the ceiling

Sponsored Links
You can do that, however the junction box is not required, just make the connections at the first switch.
Good spot. Thanks.

Consider led as an alternative to fluorescent
If you have a workbench, one above that, rather than central in the ceiling
Yeah, they're led battens. It's a double garage and it currently has a single 60W (or led equivalent) bulb in the middle so pretty dim. I'm putting a 2700lm batten on each side and another above my workbench (I do small electronics as a hobby so lots of light needed).

Another option is run a Twin +E cable from the old lighting point to the new lighting point and

a Three core +E cable from the existing switch to the new switch

Good drawing by the way.

Another option is run a Twin +E cable from the old lighting point to the new lighting point and

a Three core +E cable from the existing switch to the new switch

Good drawing by the way.

You see. This is why I posted on here. My circuit is so much simpler now and everything on the left of the diagram is already installed. I can get this thing sorted tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Thanks very much for everyone's help. (y)(y)(y)

Attachments

• garage light 1(3)-3 Wire Simplified.jpg
    garage light 1(3)-3 Wire Simplified.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 278

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back