20mm either side of door to fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the middle of a garage conversion and we're filling in the single door and the garage large door.

We've sourced a second hand large double patio door which is 1780 wide whereas our opening is about 2178. It's about 200 either side.

I know there are frame add-ons and extenders to fill in these gaps, but given the size that needs to be filled in, it seems too much of a gap to drive through a screw in which is just a hollow filling to grip the brick on the other side of the extender.

An alternative is running a 100mm treated timber batten around the sides to reduce the gap, secure these to the wall and then secure the doors to these battens and bite into the brick also. Wouldn't this be a better option?

I can use fascia trim to cover the batten.

Sponsored Links
There are square upvc profiles with metal inner core.
Practically a square metal tube covered by pvc.
They fit perfectly in door frames and come in different sizes.
Visit your local upvc centre, they'll be happy to help.

Assuming the main point off contact is the sides then 8" infills wont be solid enough in my eyes with i assume shoot bolts but just an opinion ?
i assume its on a track not relying on the side extensions for support

There are square upvc profiles with metal inner core.
Practically a square metal tube covered by pvc.
They fit perfectly in door frames and come in different sizes.
Visit your local upvc centre, they'll be happy to help.

I've seen some of the hollow ones which appear to be more common, but somehow they are remarkably expensive for what they are. Almost £40 for a 2m length with a 400mm profile. I imagine the metal core ones are significantly more. It's a case of trying to balance cost with practicality.

Assuming the main point off contact is the sides then 8" infills wont be solid enough in my eyes with i assume shoot bolts but just an opinion ?
i assume its on a track not relying on the side extensions for support

No the infills won't be solid enough. The infills need to be solid themselves, not hollow to make this work, hence the timber option.

Sponsored Links
Visit your local upvc trader.
They have a solution and usually don't mind telling you.
Personally I stopped fitting upvc windows and doors unless in a new built.
For £150/day you get it done by people who do it day in day out and can fit 6/7 windows with all trims in a day.

I've seen some of the hollow ones which appear to be more common, but somehow they are remarkably expensive for what they are. Almost £40 for a 2m length with a 400mm profile. I imagine the metal core ones are significantly more. It's a case of trying to balance cost with practicality.

No the infills won't be solid enough. The infills need to be solid themselves, not hollow to make this work, hence the timber option.
ahh ok had in my head you where trying to use the old frame but its frame to opening you are filling :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back