20mm Plastic Trunking

Generally speaking, pvc conduit is no good outside. You'd have to rely on glue to make the joins watertight.
One probably would if one wanted/needed to make the joints watertight - but why would one want that? (not that, I hasten to add, would I use PVC conduit outdoors!)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
What?
Are you asking why would one want the joints watertight outside??

There are circumstances where the conduit only enters the bottoms of the accessories, and the conduit doesn't strictly speaking need to be watertight, if there are drainage points.

Usually pvc conduit outside is more trouble than it's worth IMO.

the conduit doesn't strictly speaking need to be watertight, if there are drainage points.
There should always be drainage points at the lowest points of the conduit so I'm not sure what your point is.

Even if conduit is watertight the fact remains that condensation will occur within it, and without drainage holes it will not be able to escape.

What? Are you asking why would one want the joints watertight outside??
Indeed - given that the conduit is only there for questionable aesthetic and 'protection' (mainly UV) purposes (not to protect cable from water), and ...
There are circumstances where the conduit only enters the bottoms of the accessories, and the conduit doesn't strictly speaking need to be watertight, if there are drainage points.
As Risteard has said, there should always be adequate drainage points, even if one thinks the conduit and its connections are watertight.
Usually pvc conduit outside is more trouble than it's worth IMO.
I couldn't agree more.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Plumbers overflow pipe is much cheaper and does the job as well, or badly depending on your point of view.

Plumbers overflow pipe is much cheaper and does the job as well, or badly depending on your point of view.

Ok the general view is its no good, overflow pipe normally lives outdoors and I assume it would be ok I will look into this as a option.

But normally is run in relatively short lengths.

2 or 3 metre lengths.

Interfacing it with conduit boxes is a problem. But some is a tight fit over plastic conduit, i.e. The i.d. Of overflow pipe is the same as the o.d. of conduit.

But no good to fit in 20mm conduit adapters.
MT20FMA.JPG

The i.d. of overflow pipe is the same as the o.d. of conduit.

So a short length of conduit, say 50mm, as an interface.

Yes I understand that it could be cobbled together somehow.
But I don’t understand what would be gained. Is the PVC used in water overflow pipes radically different from standard PVC conduit used for electrical installations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back