20mm Plastic Trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to fit plastic trunking on the outside walls to carry mains cable, what is the ideal spacing distance between each mounting saddle.

Sponsored Links
I take it you mean conduit, not trunking?

The guidance is every 1.5m, but IMO that's asking for trouble outdoors. I'd not be surprised if every 50cm wasn't close enough to avoid it sagging when it gets warm.

Don't forget the sliding couplers to allow for expansion/contraction.

What you should probably forget is the whole idea - PVC conduit is troublesome outdoors.

Why do you want to use it anyway?

You are correct I did mean conduit, I am going to install a couple of halogen lights and having seen conduit used on properties around my area I thought it looked better than the cable being exposed.
I assume that your point regards expansion effect on any couplers in practice would mean only sliding them half way on and not fully up to the internal shoulder.

Sponsored Links
upload_2018-4-16_0-2-51.png

How are you going to connect the conduit to them?

PVC?

Have you seen it after it's been baking in the sun?

Yes I have 40 meters of it running the length of my south facing garden housing cctv cables, it is supported by the hedge and trees and has shown no signs of problem in the last 5 years.
With the intention of using it on a gable end I had not thought there would be a problem.

Yes I have 40 meters of it running the length of my south facing garden housing cctv cables, it is supported by the hedge and trees and has shown no signs of problem in the last 5 years.
Still straight as an arrow, is it?

Generally speaking, pvc conduit is no good outside.

You'd have to rely on glue to make the joins watertight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back