21 year old oil boiler vs lpg installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I've just moved into a house with a single walled steel oil tank - around 3KL I believe - and a very well maintained 21 year old oil boiler. Annual service, inured and lots of parts replaced as they wear.

At some point it'll fail beyond economical repair (as my well maintained 21 year old cooker just has).
I believe the regs now state I also have to upgrade the tank to a double skin one if any majors works are conducted.

Given the opportunity, would a switch to large lpg tank + normal boiler be worth it or not?

Sponsored Links
Certainly I would wait until the oil boiler springs a leak......and then replace it with another one :mrgreen:
The tank could still be in excellent order if it has been well painted, but a bunded replacement is nearly always required....they have a 110% capacity so are bloody huge :(
For sure, oil prices are rising but they are below the cost of propane.
Only my opinion!
John :)

You don't have to get a new tank just because you're getting a new boiler, and as John says there's no point in replacing an oil fired boiler until it springs a leak as it will never ever pay for itself. LPG is about 3× the price of oil and the tank siting regulations are much more stringent so it can be a pain finding somewhere to put one

thanks. Not in a hurry to replace it - I met the chap who's been maintaining it since 2000 and he said it's like Trigger's broom. Only the shell is original :D

The tank is still in good nick it seems. It's painted and no obvious sings of rust so all good I assume.

I was only musing as when the day comes and it does die a death then I won't have much time to weigh up options.

C

Sponsored Links
With the current unjoined up thinking about domestic heating, I would not be in any hurry to change what you have until there is some cohesion about the various fuel options.

You mean when the government decide something? We'll be heating our homes with fusion technologies by then :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back