220v appliance on a 245v uk circuit

I thought Japan was using 110, when a friend imported a camper direct from there everything was 110 :confused:

Japan uses 100v not 110. Frequency varies 50 or 60 Hz depending on area.

110v is actually quite rare, N America uses 120v.

Sponsored Links
Despite what various people keep saying the UK supply is typically just over 240v as the OP has discovered. This seat is designed for 220v, not 230 or 240. However in practice it will be OK. The water tank will heat up quicker that is all. I wouldn't worry about the frequency difference either. I fitted one for someone about 3 years ago and it has been no problem.

• Thanks
Reactions: HSG
The problem is the frequency brushed motors don't mind but squirrel cage with run slow and over heat.

It is clearly a cheap option this
image040.jpg
is the normal way no need for any power.

The problem is the frequency brushed motors don't mind but squirrel cage with run slow and over heat.
If there is a pump/motor (and I don't think we necessarily know that it does have), I imagine that it is only ever runs for very short periods of time (probably 'seconds'). Would any potential overheating due to frequency differences really be an issue under such circumstances?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sounds encouraging. I will have it plumbed and wired up over next week or so and will let you all know how it performs. There is a motor to adjust the nozzle and pump the water. But as mentioned above, it will be used for relatively short periods so any heating up of the windings (if it is prone to 50-60Hz issues) will be minimal.
Thanks again everyone!

I put a Samsung unit in my bathroom last year. Although it says 60hz I took it apart and every labelled component was 50 & 60hz. The only part I couldn't look at was the blower but I don't use that anyway.

Mine has had no issue in the time I have owned it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back