22mm gas feed necessary?

if he installs it but does not commission it,

As long as it's capped, it's not commissioned.

this is surely something he should have foreseen

Forewarned, yes.

accounted for

Depends on the paperwork.

To ask the customer to now pay for his mistake is not on.

Too many assumptions. We don't have all the information.

I know lots of places where inch steel goes into the floor from the meter, and appears above ground again in half inch. Feck knows what happens in between.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Too many assumptions. We don't have all the information.

Friend of mine has had her combi boiler replaced. However, after the job was just about complete, the contractor announced that she would also have to pay for a 22m gas pipe to be installed (all the way from front of house to back bedroom).

This was a cost she hadn't been informed about or budgeted for.

Seems pretty straightforward, based on the information given. I ask for X and am quoted Y. If I pay Y, I expect X to be delivered. If there are any caveats or extras which could prevent X from being delivered for Y, I should be told in advance, otherwise I am quite within my rights to not pay Y. It's the basis for every contract.

Customers are not experts and should not be expected to consider items which they are not aware of.

Depends wether it was a quote or an estimate I suppose.

Sponsored Links
Whilst it's unfortunate for him that he has to do additional work which he was not expecting, as a competent person, this is surely something he should have foreseen and accounted for. To ask the customer to now pay for his mistake is not on.

Any competent and honest installer seeing a combi boiler fitted with only 15 mm at the meter and boiler ends will immediately know that there is a potential problem and quote accordingly.

Although very short lengths of 15 mm could sometimes be acceptable, anything over 2m never will.

One boiler manufacturer even put in their installation instructions that only 22 mm or larger should be used with their boilers.

I would agree with Tony, but I can't. The Mods might think I am scared of them:)

Fireman, as long as you do not reveal your full name and address, I think you are beyond reach of fearsome mods (y)

They've got my number:eek:

=============
Fireman, um, 999?
Mod
=============

Last edited by a moderator:
Fireman, as long as you do not reveal your full name and address, I think you are beyond reach of fearsome mods (y)
Thanks DP, I do take some reassurance from that.

There's lots of boilers will work perfectly well on a 15mm gas supply.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
There's lots of boilers will work perfectly well on a 15mm gas supply.

There are probably a few 15 year olds who could drive a car safely but it would be illegal !

Installers are expected by Gas Safe to fit appliances in accordance with the British Standard which specifies a maximum pressure loss of 1.0 mbar.

Gas Safe consider a WP at the appliance of less that about 15 mbar to be At Risk.

Many appliances will work fine on a very low WP. Particularly premix boilers.

There are probably a few 15 year olds who could drive a car safely but it would be illegal !

Installers are expected by Gas Safe to fit appliances in accordance with the British Standard which specifies a maximum pressure loss of 1.0 mbar.

Gas Safe consider a WP at the appliance of less that about 15 mbar to be At Risk.

Many appliances will work fine on a very low WP. Particularly premix boilers.

You sure about the 15mbar?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back