24 Dec - update - Grundfos pump still runs constantly

its not rocket science wiring an S plan, but you would be so surprised how many get it wrong, by reading your first post, I suspect that a tsome stage when someone has been changing one of the actuators they have mixed up the wiring, everyone else that has come along has put a new on on are a new valve and followed the same wiring, trust me very very few BG engineers would actually trace the wiring to ensure it was correct they will just change the actuator or valve, this is not BG bashing before anyone says that it is sadly the same for a very large amount of the industry, as you are now a qualified heating engineer I will explain in simple terms how your system works, you have two zone valves one for heating one for HW,the valve is a valve operated by a motor , when the valve opens , a physical mechanism closes the contacts on a micro switch, both valves have a separate micro switch, both micro switches have a permanent live into the grey wire (this must be permanent and not switched for reasons that have already been explained ) when the switch is closed by the physical mechanism then voltage is sent to the orange wire, this tells the pump and boiler to operate, when the demand for either HW or CH is turned off the valve closes and the micro switch on that valve is now in the open position so no demand from that valve to the boiler, when both valves are in the closed position then there is no demand for the boiler to fire, yes it is common for end switches to seize in the closed position but you have had the actuators changed so it is not that, at some stage someone has mixed up the wiring and everyone following on has just followed the same wiring

Sponsored Links
Saw someone 's. comments about turning down/off room stat.
I have an S plan which sometimes comes on for no reason, ie timer off etc, I turn the room stat right down, it then goes off
Stuck contact on the programmer , so like being on constant . Room stat is the next switch in series with the programmer so turning that off removes the power to brown wire motor power of the zone valve.

its not rocket science wiring an S plan, but you would be so surprised how many get it wrong, by reading your first post, I suspect that a tsome stage when someone has been changing one of the actuators they have mixed up the wiring, everyone else that has come along has put a new on on are a new valve and followed the same wiring, trust me very very few BG engineers would actually trace the wiring to ensure it was correct they will just change the actuator or valve, this is not BG bashing before anyone says that it is sadly the same for a very large amount of the industry, as you are now a qualified heating engineer I will explain in simple terms how your system works, you have two zone valves one for heating one for HW,the valve is a valve operated by a motor , when the valve opens , a physical mechanism closes the contacts on a micro switch, both valves have a separate micro switch, both micro switches have a permanent live into the grey wire (this must be permanent and not switched for reasons that have already been explained ) when the switch is closed by the physical mechanism then voltage is sent to the orange wire, this tells the pump and boiler to operate, when the demand for either HW or CH is turned off the valve closes and the micro switch on that valve is now in the open position so no demand from that valve to the boiler, when both valves are in the closed position then there is no demand for the boiler to fire, yes it is common for end switches to seize in the closed position but you have had the actuators changed so it is not that, at some stage someone has mixed up the wiring and everyone following on has just followed the same wiring
But it's strange that "All ran fine from 31 October until 7 December, when the same fault came back." That seems to rule out wrongly wired. If it weren't such an intractable problem I'd say it can't be the boiler as the pump run-on is not being used, and it only takes inputs, 240volt to fire. That only leaves the pump, the 2 valves and the room and cylinder stats.

that's what I thought, the original problem ,might of been correct, a sticking drayton valve, but since changing the valve ,its been miss wired. i.e orange in a grey ect. but there was a time lapse of it working ok, and then fault reappearing. which if miss wired would show up straight away, not re-appear a few weeks later.

Sponsored Links
Not really as the heating would have been off till September then fault appeared as both heating and hot water were called.

BG have been back ten times are you suggesting that they are fully testing the system each time they do any work?

Def no picture hung up or anything at all for that matter nailed into the walls. No electrical work at all. Nothing. Nada.

BG have been back ten times are you suggesting that they are fully testing the system each time they do any work?
When the fault is alive and clear, the engineer has traced the fault to a live feed at the orange wire using a multi meter - hence the change of heat actuators. Others have checked the wiring box, programmer wiring, thermostat wiring, cylinder wiring, boiler cable - all appears to be okay.

it has been installed as a 230v 3 wire installation, without pump overun.
“230v 3 wire installation” being live neutral and earth (3 core flex)?
If correct the 24v link hasn’t been removed or the permanent live to boiler has been linked to 240v RT terminal at boiler control board.
Thread is either a wind-up or you’ve been unlucky having nothing but idiots visiting calling themselves engineers.

no, just test the boiler, and system is operating correctly, and the valves are working, don't take long, i test every component I replace, something we have to do, plus it saves call backs.
I understand bg engineers have a massive daily workload , I have worked for utility companies , I know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back