24WAYS -3 DAYS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate your opinion, i have just has a single phase 24way DB upgraded due to the unavailability of rcbo's to fit existing, all circuits where identified and L,N,E of each numbered. The Job took 1.5 men 3 days ?

I think they where taking the pi.....

What do you think ?

Sponsored Links
.5 was the apprentice and not 1/2 a person just 1/2 the hourly rate of the 'man'.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Hi, no problems at all, the job was around 2k

Regards,

DS

Yes 36 man hours for a 24 way distribution unit seems a lot. However I have had the job where things don't go according to plan. The biggest problem was asbestos where the company insisted I made the unit electrical safe then waited for the asbestos removal team to remove box then I could return to fit new. It seemed crazy but given no option.

I am sure this was not the case with you or you would have said but best laid plans do go wrong.

We either charge for the job or day rate and it's all down to who takes the risk. So when quoted £500 to fit a fused switch on the main 500A supply we accepted the quote and Siemens came to change it. When their electricians did not realise you can't feed separate phase through three separate holes in a steel box Siemens footed the bill to correct.

However when we needed extra labour and employed a firm on day rate to assist any errors was our problem not theirs and it was up to me as electrical engineer to ensure they did nothing wrong.

All I could do was off hire the labour which I did when they were caught walking the struts to feed cables when HSE visited. In real terms they were getting the job done quicker by their actions and had the HSE not visited I would have been very happy with their work but the point is when on day rate why cut corners?

I felt rotten I did everything to get them to hurry up. Like bringing them cups of tea so they did not leave the job to get a break. Then I sacked them. Told after had I not sacked then HSE would have taken them to court so likely in long run helped them.

But end of day you have quotes, estimates and day rate and with the latter you do have to watch them. If you didn't then more fool you.

The job was 'on a price' it was the down time that caused me hassle. I have had the same job done in a day.

Regards,

DS

A day to swap the board, maybe an extra half day if something goes wrong / wires need extending / containment needs altering etc, and then a day of testing to commission properly would not seem outrageous to me.

Don't forget that 24 way TP dist boards cost a damn sight more than a 5 x 5 split load at screwfix.

You're looking at the best part of £500 for a 24 way schneider board, before you even think about ocpds.

Oops that'll teach me to read things properly. :oops:

Yeah that does seem a bit ott then :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back