db upgrade question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quoting to do the electrics in a gym where the DB needs to be upgraded from single phase to a three phase because they are having 3 electric showers & a sauna. All the existing circuits are on MCBs apart from a couple of socket circuits which are on RCBOs

When I change the DB would I have to RCD or RCBO protect all the circuits with cables buried in walls, 18 circuits in total.

or, this is classed as a commercial premises where electrical installation is controlled by skilled persons, so I could RCBO all the sockets & showers and leave lights on MCBs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hang on.

This is DIYnot.....

You are proposing to charge a commercial concern for a replacement DB and you are not up to speed with 7671:2008/11??

I am up to speed thankyou.

I only come on here to get other peoples opinions, not to actually do what they say

I'm puzzled.

If you're up to speed, why are you asking a question you should know the answer to?

Sponsored Links
I am up to speed thankyou.
Then you should be aware that BS7671 relates to all electrical installations as defined in 110.1 (seems to me that includes gymnasiums).

Building Regulations Part P relates to domestic premises.

So, do you now have the answer you require?

I'm puzzled.

If you're up to speed, why are you asking a question you should know the answer to?
Because he's not up to speed.

But then he isn't going to follow any advice he receives here - he said so himself.

I wonder if the people paying him know that he's having to ask questions on a DIY site to find out how to do his job?

I only come on here to get other peoples opinions, not to actually do what they say
In my opinion you should tell your client to employ a consulting engineer to design and specify the work. That will make it easy for you just following his design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back