24WAYS -3 DAYS

Learning is very complex.

Some people want just a quick answer, and sometimes they can learn from that.

Others like loads of literature to read, and can master it from that.

Some things just can't be learnt from books, and can only be learnt from experience, or someone experienced giving away trade secrets.

The beauty of this forum is that there are plenty of people to offer both theory and practical advice - which when you think about it is what a traditional apprenticeship would offer.

I think this forum suceeds in offering more than enough info for all kinds of people to follow. Somehow we get the 'balance' just right.

(Though I would like to see a sticky showing good basic workmanship and skills, such as how to terminate the end of a cable so it's just the right length, and securely terminated. All too often I loosen a DIY faceplate, and say, "Oh my God...".

Sponsored Links
Learning is very complex.
Can be.

But not learning how lighting circuits work and what switches do.

Some people want just a quick answer
Don't care if they want that - a quick answer is unacceptable.

Some things just can't be learnt from books
True.

But how lighting circuits work and what switches do are not in that class.

Some people want just a quick answer
Don't care if they want that - a quick answer is unacceptable.
It really depends. If you went to your GP and asked him/her which over-the-counter 'painkillers' were safe to take along with the prescription medicines you were taking, would you consider it 'unacceptable' if they gave you the answer to that question, thinking that they should instead give you a reading list of material about drug-drug and drug-disease interactions?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can see no point in trying to debate this with someone who is either:

1) Such an idiot that he really thinks that a lighting circuit and switches are no less complicated to master than drug-drug and drug-disease interactions

or

2) Of the opinion that the people he is talking to are such idiots that they would think that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back