2nd. Hand Tyres.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was getting a lift from someone on a regular basis, but not so sure now as he gets his tyres from a scrapyard.

I've seen garages advertise 2nd hand tyres. are they worth getting?

Sponsored Links
Thats a million dollar question....the big outlets would scream in protest, yet if you know what to look for, damage is actually visible (if you're allowed to look).
Obviously the tyre's history is completely unknown, but looking at some of the faults that cars have that come my way, tyres are the least of thier problems!
I personally don't go down that route, as by shopping around away from the big boys tyre prices needn't be that bad.
John :)

yea I know what u mean about the cars..lol seen some right ones. I've got a tyre due so just going for a new budget one.

Stakeford Tyre services get a good reputation......give you plenty of choice too. I've my own contact in Hexham.

Sponsored Links
Once upon a time I used to buy part-worns. I had one fail quite badly so don't any more. You have no idea how they have been treated. If you are hard up you can buy a budget brand

I have used secondhand tyres when I have been able to get them and had no problems, obviously there is a greater risk, but as burnerman says you can usually see any damage. I have had problems with new Goodyears so really you pays your money and takes you choice.

Peter

If you look inside the tyre and see black rubber dust its been run flat.
Also check the sidewalls for splits and bulges, and puncture repairs outside of the tyre contact patch area.
Over enthusiastic use of the tyre lever may cause a split where the tyre seals onto the rim.

Ive just put a pair of part worns on the 306, first set ive bought. I understand they typically come from germany where they have far stricter rules on what can or cannot be used. Some scrap yards only sell the part-worns that come in on cars, others do a trade in imported part worns too.

They way I look at it is, you would have no quarms running a second hand car on the tyres it came with having had a look over them, whats diffrent in a part worn bought tyre only?

I would rather have a decent brand of nearly new part worn, than a brand new chinese ditch finder which will be 'part worn' after a weeks use anyway. The part worns ive just had fitted are that good you would stuggle to tell them from new bar the lack of moulding marks on the tread.

Daniel

Tyres are the only things that glue you to the road.
For the sake of the other people in the car you are driving-ALWAYS buy new- and not cheap.
Second hand tyres are second hand for a reason.
Visual inspection is not a guide to go by.
Buy new- and not the cheapo tyres either.Your choice- your conscience.

I have been driving on cheap and secondhand tyres for over 50 years and getting on for a million miles and have never had one fail, which can't be said for a pair of Goodyears I had on a Citroen XM which caused the car to pull severly to the right for 3 years until I wore them out, I have just replaced one of them with a secondhand one and the car steers perfectly now.

Peter

Truck tyres are usually remoulded several times - the new band being wound on and then the tread is cut.
Granted they don't do the speed, but they sure do the weight! It shows, the technology is there.

You can also buy remoulds and second hand tyres for your Boeing 747.
I've not bought used tyres for a while now but that doesn't mean to say I wouldn't, say if I was a bit short. Or, if I had an old banger, I wouldn't want to put four new tyres on it that were worth twice the value of the car.

I trust a remould to be inspected and quality controlled.

A second-hand tyre, not.

What if you bought a second hand car, would that not count as second hand tyres?

What if you bought a second hand car, would that not count as second hand tyres?
They were probably new when they were purchased whereas second-hand/part-worn tyres have been fitted to one vehicle, removed and refitted to another.

A valid question that perhaps needs to be asked with second-hand/part-worn tyres is WHY were they removed from the first vehicle in the first place?

Sponsored Links
Back