2x Quinetic wifi mini reciever in backbox ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In re-instating a partition wall the previous owners took out, I'm wanting to see if i can re-hang the door to open against the adjacent wall, rather than into the room.

However, the existing twin dimmer light switch is on the wall against which the door would open.

So, I would either need to re-wire & move the light switch into the re-instated partition, or find an alternative approach. One possible idea i had could be to use quinetic switches. Does anyone know if i would be able to fit 2x wifi min receivers (https://www.quinetic.co.uk/products/wifi-mini-receiver/ ) into a 50mm backbox and if they would work ? The operating switches would be less than a meter away.

From the spec sheets it looks like they would just about fit, just not sure if they will work or if its a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Not currently, but its all in conduit so i can pull new cable through if need be

Well that's good, but I'm concerned about how you deal with the aerial. Probably still need someone who's used one. The aerial must be for the wifi I suppose.

Sponsored Links
I was going to coil it round the inside edge of the back box. I think my concern is similar to yours in that will it receive sufficient signal to work. I'll wait to see if anyone else comments, but i may just have to buy a couple and give it a go. There's always that online flea market if it doesn't work

I have some quinetic switches at home and they do a good job. They do not have visible aerials , which is why I assume the aerials here are for wifi. Assuming these also work with standard quinetic switches I would not be concerned about that mode of operation at the range you mention. It rather depends on whether you plan to use wifi as well.

It rather depends on whether you plan to use wifi as well.
Its a nice to have but not a key requirement. if i replace all my switches with quinetic dimmers i might then try to integrate them into openhome ata later date.

Given that you have to alter the wiring regardless of which option you pick, I would pull the cabling out of the existing conduit and reroute it to standard switches mounted on the other side of the door.

So with that mini WiFi receiver, I can use my existing switch in conjunction with the quinetic ones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back