3 phase dis board

Sponsored Links
1) its a mess
2) RCD main incomer isn't usually good practice (TT installs excepted)
3) Doesn't seem to be many high powered circuits there, was three phase actually required?, or was it commercial before that so had three phase?... and so may as well stick a three phase board on it, there just doesn't look to be enough there to have warrented a conversion from SP
4) I can see blue conductors but no brown?

Looks like ble conductor is from an armoured cable as there is a yellow on the top of the earth bar.

Is the board labelled up?

RMS

Everything that Adam said.

But I don't think there is any massive cause for alarm.

Sponsored Links
Everything that Adam has said and I can't see anything that 1/2 hour with a pair of cutters wouldn't put right.

But are we all missing something that you spotted?

Yeah, the power has not been isolated before the lid was removed. :LOL:

RF Lighting said:
Pensdown said:
I can't see anything that 1/2 hour with a pair of cutters wouldn't put right.

I'd want a dozen tie wraps too. ;)

No problem, I'll book them out of the stores tomorrow, do you want black or white? :LOL:

4 red
4 black
4 green and yellow.

Do you keep them in 6"? (the thin ones like 4" tie wraps)

Thanks, see you in the morning :LOL:

Merlin Gerin gets my vote, must be prior to the isolatable bus bars.

Hi all

Please forgive the OP not being totally clear, but I wanted views which had you known the reason for asking might have influenced you.

The whole story. A customer of an architect friend of mine is proposing a major conversion, extensions at the rear, conversion of the third storey into a guest suite, wholesale replacement and moves of bathrooms, the whole shooting match. They wanted an objective opinion about the state of the electrical installation and the best course of action re the major alterations. The building is a late victorian 3 storey house, always been in domestic occupancy, the 3 phase cable head and cutout are modern, I suspect installed when the last rewire was done, no I don't know why either, 100A fuses, either TNS or TNCS. The board is a Merlin Gerin. They have had signiicant problems with nuisance tripping.

These are the known problems I found

Main earthing conductor 10mm sq
Equipotential bonding appears to be there, but lots of plastic pipes
No supplementary bonding

Study/garage radial wired in 4mm, 45A breaker.
Kitchen final ring in 2.5mm, 45A breaker.
Kitchen radial wired in a mix of 4mm amd 2.5 mm 45A breaker, (fortunately both on same phase).
two lighting circuits both in 1.5 mm, 15A breakers.
Porch double socket sharing immersion heater 15A breaker.
No local isolators on two elec showers, also wired in 6mm sq 45A breakers.
In fact only the gnd and 1st flr final rings have the correct 32A breakers.

Additionally all of the breakers appear to be type C's.

Individual cable cores not sleeved according actual use.

Thats purely from visual inspection, a full PIR may well turn up other nasties.

I have recommended that the costs of puuting it right as well as the additions due to the building works isn't going to be wildy different than a full rewire, in their scheme of things, also they'll get full certification and they won't have to revisit the older parts in a few years time.

Regards
Martin

who the hell installed this??? Is his sticker on the board anywhere?

I'm no expert, but i know that a 6mm cable should not be on a 45A MCB unless its run is short and on cable tray or similar.

The whole install sounds a mess, and i wouldnt blame you for quoting to rip the lot out and rewire from scratch. And why they used all C breakers is beyond me, though I have seen this done in a shop i once worked at. Every breaker was C rated. But many of these were for commercial fridges and fluorescent light loads. No need in a domestic environment. Also no need for main RCD - if you cant get RCBOs for that board, I would replace the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back