3 Phase HRC Fuse Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
My Local church has asked me to install two new double sockets in their main hall. They have a very old 3 phase HRC fuse board, now my question is, what is the best way to protect this circuit via RCD so it complies with the current regulations?
Any suggestions would be appereciated.
Thanks[/b]

Sponsored Links
Install an RCD in an external enclosure or use a method not requiring the cable to be RCD protected such as Pyro and use sockets with integrated RCDs.

I'd take the first option, Henley block the tails to bring a new set of tails into a small enclosure, use RCD or RCBO and run in a new ring, job done.

Was thinking of it as just using a fuse in the board then out to an RCD in an enclosure then onto the sockets.
Ring for 2 sockets is a bit OTT, 20A radial will probably do.

Sponsored Links
Was thinking of it as just using a fuse in the board then out to an RCD in an enclosure then onto the sockets.

Thanks for your reply, just to confirm, how many Amps would you reccomend in the fuse board (for redial)? I actually have a spare fuse too.
Thanks

Ah, missed the two socket bit, I agree, radial certainly suffice.

Thanks for your reply, just to confirm, how many Amps would you reccomend in the fuse board (for redial)? I actually have a spare fuse too.
Thanks

What type of spare fuse do you have? Don't forget if your using twin and earth cable for this you need to have RCD protection, don't just run a radial off an old fuse.

As Spark123 said, 20 amps will cover your radial just fine, on an MCB or RCBO that is.

Thought he said HRC fuseboard - I'm thinking something like a GE Redspot BS88 type board? I'm maybe a million miles away - the ones I know of have a max fuse rating written on the holders so if they permit a 20A fuse to be fitted then that will do.
A fuselink will do - no need for an MCB as the fuse provides overcurrent/fault protection. You don't need to an RCBO, an RCCB will suffice if you choose to have RCD protection adjacent to the board.

Thought he said HRC fuseboard - I'm thinking something like a GE Redspot BS88 type board? I'm maybe a million miles away - the ones I know of have a max fuse rating written on the holders so if they permit a 20A fuse to be fitted then that will do.
A fuselink will do - no need for an MCB as the fuse provides overcurrent/fault protection. You don't need to an RCBO, an RCCB will suffice if you choose to have RCD protection adjacent to the board.

Yeah, thats pretty much what I meant, I suspected he might have meant a similar type board as what you say with no RCD protection at all. Thats why I said if hes gonna run a pair of tails into an enclosure next to it he could either have a small 3 or 4 way CU with an RCD as the main switch and an MCB or use a double pole isolator/main switch with an RCBO.

In any event, there are a few ways to do it, without seeing whats there and where, how etc its going to be its hard to say which is the best way.

I reckon theres plenty info there to keep him busy! :)

Thanks for your respons.
You are right, I don't have access to the fuse board right now, but i have the fuse with me, and i have attached it's pictures just in case. you might be able to see this, on the fuse there is a 30A limit, would you agree and suggest that i just use this and take it out to a RCD enclosure?
Thanks
View media item 10593 View media item 10594 View media item 10592

Install an RCD in an external enclosure or use a method not requiring the cable to be RCD protected such as Pyro and use sockets with integrated RCDs.

Are you saying that an installation in the house of god is not under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person?

Thanks for your respons.
You are right, I don't have access to the fuse board right now, but i have the fuse with me, and i have attached it's pictures just in case. you might be able to see this, on the fuse there is a 30A limit, would you agree and suggest that i just use this and take it out to a RCD enclosure?
Thanks
View media item 10593 View media item 10594 View media item 10592

I would say that looks ok to me, stick a 20A fuse in and use that to the RCD enclosure.

This is not a DIY job. However it is an example of installation methods used for domestic work being completely inappropriate when used elsewhere.

While fitting an RCD next to the fuseboard in a house would be fine, doing so in a church is not. These sockets will doubtless be used by a whole range of people (church halls being used for all kinds of things).

Most of these people will not have access to the fuseboard or the room it is located in. Even if they did (which would NOT be a desirable situation), you can't expect them to go poking around in a switchroom to reset an RCD because they have plugged in a worn out extension lead.

The correct solution is to fit RCD sockets, and the supply cables either in pyro, conduit or some other mechanically protected system. Metal clad sockets would also be a likely choice.

Are you saying that an installation in the house of god is not under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person?

Hmmm - under the supervision of god almighty, could work in court :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back