3 Phase supply - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

we moved into a property last year which was built in the 1960's and had a 3 phase supply unit as.
LAst month we had gas connected to the property and removed the old storage heaters and were are currently in the process of moving over to a dual fuel tariff from an economy 7 tariiff.
Our electrician will fit un a new consumer unit but who is responsible for removing the huge 3 phase supply unit? it it us or the electric company?

Sponsored Links
It is the property of the electricity supply company, you cannot remove it. I had a similar experience and it was left in place but only one phase used.

I rang them yesterday and the girl i spoke to didnt have a clue what i was talking about.
she kept asking me for the serial number (it doesnt have one). I tried explaining that we have a meter that was regular meter fitted in 2007 and I wanted to know about the 3 phase unit but even when she went away to 'discuss with her manager' she said said no you only have the one meter :mad:

We do our having a new condumer unit by oue electrician has he has converted the old sockets from the economy 7 heaters to plug sockets but at the moments they do not work as they are run on on night tariiff.

the 3 phase unti is completely redundant now as none of it is in use. Should the electricity company remove it?

unless it is in some way defective they may see no reason to remove it. They will just remove the fuses for the unused phases. Please show us some photos.

Sponsored Links
16C2A017-BC90-406E-B170-EB6BBD196EA7.jpeg 0E460E41-E0CC-4092-AB89-2A9F6EF4D575.jpeg 0DD8E717-0344-4885-9231-44FB3CF30A42.jpeg
As you can see it’s a big bulky thing that takes up a lot of room.
The only thing from the first 2 pics that we need is the digital meter

most of the stuff in that picture is yours and can be disconnected and taken away. I'm looking particularly at the three large grey boxes on the left. I don't know what they are.

Once you have disconnected and removed your own stuff, and the redundant cables, it will look tidier.

If you can get your electrician to identify and mark the redundant stuff, you could ask for the redundant tails to be removed from the blocks. The person installing the new meter might do it.

they are (according to the electrician) the old boxes for the 3 phase uni that we want removing

most of the stuff in that picture is yours and can be disconnected and taken away. I'm looking particularly at the three large grey boxes on the left. I don't know what they are. ... Once you have disconnected and removed your own stuff, and the redundant cables, it will look tidier.
Indeed. However, you imply, there's a lot there for the OP's electrician to get to grips with (and presumably largely remove).
If you can get your electrician to identify and mark the redundant stuff, you could ask for the redundant tails to be removed from the blocks. The person installing the new meter might do it.
Whoever changes the meter (into a single-phase one) will presumably have no sensible choice other than to remove the tails from the (then unused) other two phases.

Kind Regards, John

You asked about removing the 3 Phase Supply which is this bit. As has been said, if you are moving to a single phase supply it will normally be left in situ and just one of the three phases used.

3 Phase Supply.PNG

It, and the electric meter(s) connected to it are the property of the service provider. All of the other stuff is your responsibility.

The meter and fuses below right are the supply companies, everything else is yours and the responsibility of your electrician to remove if not required.

Is that a tin around the cables coming into the cutout?

There seems to be a load of consumer units dotted around. Do you have a large property or several outbuildings?

That large grey metal MEM box looks like a contactor.

Is that a tin around the cables coming into the cutout?

There seems to be a load of consumer units dotted around. Do you have a large property or several outbuildings?

That large grey metal MEM box looks like a contactor.

It’s a black fitted plastic box

The property is just a 3 bed semi with a single garage and no other outbuildings

they are (according to the electrician) the old boxes for the 3 phase uni that we want removing
As has been said, everything other than the meters and the thing at the bottom right with the fuses is yours - so if (as I suspect) a lot of it will no longer been needed, it will be for your electrician to remove it (once he's worked out what it all is and does).

Kind Regards, John

It’s a black fitted plastic box
As has been said, it looks like a soup (or similar) tin (still with its label)!
The property is just a 3 bed semi with a single garage and no other outbuildings
Fair enough. It's rather surprising that such a property was provided with a 3-phase supply - but it clearly was!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back