3 pin plug doesn't fit old sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new battery charger - the 3 pin plug only fits the few sockets in our house that are relatively new. And I guess this means it will not fit the vast majority of sockets elsewhere either. Is there some kind of adapter to convert it to the old 3 pin size? (Only the earth pin is too large)

Sponsored Links
No, the "latest" three pin sockets are exactly the same as the old ones except the earth hole is slightly larger (The other two pins on the "latest" plug also seem to be slightly larger than on old plugs, but will still go in the old sockets)

they should all be a standard size check to see if they have got the british standard kite mark

Sponsored Links
There's no kite mark, but this is a battery charger with 3 pins rather than a plug. There is a CE mark on it

perhaps the earth pin could be filed down a bit

It's a UK installation, a foreign plug(transformer) but it has English on it so it's obviously for the UK market. I've just compared the Earth pin with that on another transformer which does work in all sockets. I cannot actually detect any difference in size but something does stand out. The pin which doesn't fit sockets has a "square" (ie. flat) end whereas the one that does has a bevelled end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back