3 Pin Plug in the bathroom for a Waterpik

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys. Sorry i didnt get any updates for this thread.
Then got busy and forgot..

Waterpik, I've recently bought an improved mains operated model suitable for use in a UK bathroom, it has a standard shaver plug on it, designed to run safely off an UK shaver socket - and it cleans just as well. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Is this the less powered one? i didnt find it useful enough for me.. i like the deep clean feeling lol.

What they say is it can't be powered from an isolation transformer shaver socket.

It is purely the fact that the Wiring Regulations have restrictions on BS 1363 sockets in bathrooms which make it unsuitable, not the fact that it uses electricity.

So a longer lead on the base unit would be one solution - take the power from a socket far enough away.

Another solution would be to get a 50-100VA 230V:230V isolating transformer, mount it in a suitable enclosure remote from the bathroom and use it to supply a plain (i.e. transformerless) shaver socket. OK - still non-compliant, as it wouldn't be a BS EN 61558-2-5 shaver unit, but it would be as safe.

I just read on another forum about this.
So getting this transformer unit in the loft, and wiring up a standard non transformer shaver socket would be safe but not legal?

Also if i had it on another fuse on my box?

I have a shaver socket with two plugs on it, can i not use them to power it together?

I have a water pik ;)

The one that plugs into a shaver socket (240V) - chosen deliberately so I could plug it in in the bathroom. The rechargeable ones apparantly have a short battery life.

There is a limit to the pressure your gums will stand so why get the one you will only be able to use in the kitchen?

Waterpik, I've recently bought an improved mains operated model suitable for use in a UK bathroom, it has a standard shaver plug on it, designed to run safely off an UK shaver socket - and it cleans just as well. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The one that is Safe for bathrooms runs of a shaver plug and is no where near as powerful as the other one :(

I did try plug it into a 3 pin shaver plug adapter and using it on the 110 / 220v shaver plug in the bathroom, but it seems to start well, then die quick.

Could i do what Ban-all-sheds says and put the adapter in the loft above the bathroom. That way i would just put the waterpik plug into the loft.
Alternatively is there a water tight adapter (Like the ones you get for outside) i can put somewhere like under the bathtub, or in the box where the drain pipes run through.

Sponsored Links
Don't know about the Water-pic, but we have a Kitty which is similar. It is designed to plug into a shaver socket, but, and this may be relevant to the wiring-in possibilities for the Water-pic, the instructions repeat several times that the machine should be disconnected from the power when not in use. No doubt a switch would do the job, but then the position of the switch?

Hey Guys,
I am still living in hope of one day managing to get this thing working in the bathroom and not just gather dust.

So i randomly decided to google again and came across this article:
http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/Electricity-In-The-Bathroom/Static.raction

Would this apply to me?

"Zone 1
Applies to the area around the bath or shower up to a height of 2.25m above the floor and at a radius of 1.2m from the water outlet. A minimum rating of IPX4 is required. If the fitting is 240V a 30mA residual current device (RCD) must also be used to protect the circuit in this zone, i.e. SELV with the transformer located beyond zone 2."

Or would one option be to:
"Any space under the bath is considered out of scope, so long as it cannot be accessed without using tools such as a screwdriver."

Might as well cut out all the stuff in the middle and just use the screwdriver you would have needed to access the bath space to clean between your teeth. A lot cheaper anyhoo.

Shaver socket is rated 20VA your tooth thing rated 45VA so will not work from a shaver socket. Any other socket needs to be 3 meters from the bath so you will need a partition with a door on it floor to ceiling dividing the bathroom making it into two rooms then you can fit a standard socket or fit a sink into another room and use the device in another room.

In other countries it is common to put sockets in a bathroom but not in the UK. Anything you do in UK to get 45W of power into a bathroom where you can plug in will not comply with regulations.

However the BS7671 regulations are not law. Part P however is law so if you can get a LABC inspector to accept that in some other European county a 13A RCD protected socket is permitted he could in theory issue a completion certificate for such a socket. But some how don't think that will happen.

It would seem there is a rechargeable model designed for UK but taking old one back after 3 years is likely not an option. Did you think if you waited long enough the rules would change?

What do the regulation say about feeding a socket from an isolating transformer ? A DIY 50 watt shaver socket. ?

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THIS AS THE ANSWER TO THE OP's NEED but wondered if there was a limit on shaver power designs.

What do the regulation say about feeding a socket from an isolating transformer ? A DIY 50 watt shaver socket. ?... I AM NOT SUGGESTING THIS AS THE ANSWER TO THE OP's NEED but wondered if there was a limit on shaver power designs.
The only exception to the reg prohibiting a LV socket outlet in bathroom zones relates to shaver outlets which comply with BS EN 61558-2-5, which may be located in zone 2.

Whether one could make a DIY 'shaver outlet' which complied with that Standard, and which had adequate capacity (the Standard might limit rating to 25W, for all I know), I haven't got a clue - but, in practice, I suspect/presume that the answer is 'no'.

Kind Regards, John

Hi Guys.

The reason why i asked if any of those two applied to me was in case i could somehow connect the device under the bathtub, or in a water tight box, for those of you that couldn't use common sense, meaning the device would be wired under the tub, and it it self would be left in a recessed window where it currently resides.

The waterpik it self is rated at IPX7 - not sure if that helps.

I didnt think there would be any change in the regulations which may allow it, but i am exploring options, and thought in the 3 years someone may have come up with a solution to the problem, at which i happened to stumble up on that site, which i thought may have possibly applied.

As for extension cable, that is how i currently use it, but feel its unsafe as using it allows water to run down your forearm and off your elbow which would land directly over the extension. Which isn't ideal.

I guess using it in the kitchen maybe the only option as there is a wall point immediately next to the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back