Replacement for unsuitable plug-in PSU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
FYI - In the trade, this kind of plug-in is called a "wall wart." This is not rude.
I have just bought a Varta universal charger+
This one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-...+charger+&qid=1625215477&s=electronics&sr=1-4

But it has an EU 2 pin plug on it and no adapter. How annoying.

Which of the details on the plug are important? I have 2 random power supplies from other gadgets. Will they do? Or do the figures have to match exactly?

On the photo the supplied 2 pin plug is on the left.
16252157627528348877204058912702.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Send it back, demand a refund, complain to Amazon.

It is not suitable for use in the UK

Sale and supply of devices without UK plugs is not permitted here.

EDIT _ JohnD - also answered and better suggestion

Quite a few details are important
The middle one - showing output 12V DC which is the output you need @2A which is more than the 1.25A - which is good
Also the Input needs to be in the range of your supply and frequency
BUT
The polarity is important , on your plug, you see the middle pin is +ve - thats important
BUT the middle one does not have that, so maybe -ve middle and not suitable

The image on right is 5V O/P DC - so no good

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you everyone. I think i should send it back then. It was from Amazon (not marketplace) so at least returning it is easy, though annoying.

Any recommendations for a replacement charger? I need to charge A AA D batteries. And it would be useful if it had a dud battery symbol, though not essential.

Varta is usually a good brand, it's the retailers fault for sending you the wrong model. If you can find a reputable UK supplier they should have one. I think you paid quite a high price.

I think mine is a Lloytron, it's a very budget brand. My AA charger is branded Energizer and probably came from Tesco.

Occasionally Lidl or Aldi have one in the Central Aisle of Mystery.

The product is called a "Universal Charger"

Not as common as the ones that only fit AA and AAA cells. What sizes do you need?

Edit, ah, you need "D" size which is very big.

I don't see one at Maplins.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank you everyone.

The reason I chose the Varta Universal+ was that it doesn't need to charge in pairs and it could recognise duff ones etc. But it seems that the majority of brands only charge in pairs, so if the population at large can cope with it then I should be able to aswell.

And re Lidl/Aldi: I have missed perusing the 'middle of Lidl' this last year but I think I have also saved a lot of money!

I did have a delta type battery charger which was designed to switch off once charged, worked well with early batteries, but so many different types now to get a true universal battery charger seems to be hard, with an AA cell anywhere between 600 mAh and 3500 mAh it seems to be just luck, if good or bad charger.

shopping
there are adaptors if that is the charger you want. See here for example which seem to hold the EU plug well and when required does have an earth.

I have many items with EU plugs on them, I would buy in line connectors when on holiday, google "Rewireable Euro European EU Socket 2.5 A" you can get them
s-l500.png
but so much cheaper and easier when on holiday back in the days when I travelled the EU.

Yeah, I have a few appliances and phone chargers bought in France that are Class II.

I buy a fig of 8 mains lead with moulded 3 pin plug on then chop off the FoE plug and attach a two pin Euro trailing socket.

The reviews are in German so maybe this should have been a giveaway.

There is a q&a on there where someone has said a shaver adaptor plug is required, it was posted 17 hours ago so I presume this was you advising that.

Is this the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back