3 Pirs activating lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is one project I have (a houseboat) where the client wants 3 separate 360 degree PIRS to operate a circuit of 30w indoor lighting through out the living area. I can't talk them out of it, this is what they want unfortunately (too lazy for simple switches I guess).

The idea is that one switch puts power to all three PIRS and when any of them are activated they will turn on all the lights. When the switch is turned off then there is no power.

Can anybody basically explain to me the wiring solution for this, if there is one?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It depends how the PIRs switch their output. If they're something like a relay, then I think it's trivial - you just take the same mains feed to one side of each PIR's relay, and then wire the output side of all of them to the light fitting, if any one switches, then the light will come on.

Something doesn't feel quite right about having multiple relays switch the same feed, but I can't put my finger on any reason why there would be a problem (I'm sure someone else will point out if I'm missing anything).

Assuming this is fine, then obviously if the PIRs don't use relays or similar, and have restrictions on what they can switch - just switch a contactor from each of them and do it that way...

Theoretically, you can run a live, switched live and neutral via 3C+E all the wall down the room, stopping off at all the PIRs and all the lights.

Obviously connect the PIRs across L and SL, and the lights across SL and N.

Connect a neutral to the PIRs if they need one. Use choc block to continue the unnessecary cores at each fitting.

Earths omitted for clarity, your home may be at risk if you light fires.

So basically twin & E wire from the switch to the first PIR and then continuing on to the 2nd and then 3rd. And from each PIR the twin & E wire straight to the first light. That's a lot of wires to the first light (3 cables from the PIRS and 1 to the next light in the series).

Sponsored Links
If the PIR requires a neutral conection then wire a 3core and earth cable between the three PIR sensors then back to the first light, the connections can all be made at the first light so there will be 3 T+E and 1 3c+e at this point, T+E 1 = LIVE AND NEUTRAL FEED

T+E 2 = LIVE AND SWITCHED LIVE TO SWITCH POSITION (BLUE SLEEVED WITH BROWN)
T+E 3 = SWITCHED LIVE AND NEUTRAL TO 2ND AND THIRD LIGHTS
3C+E = SWITCHED LIVE (BLACK SLEEVED BROWN),PERMANENT LIVE (BROWN), AND NEUTRAL (GREY SLEEVED BLUE)

CONNECTIONS
ALL NEUTRALS TOGETHER IN ONE BLOCK AND TO FITTING 1
ALL EARTHS TOGETHER IN ONE BLOCK AND CONNECT TO FITTING IF REQUIRED
PERMANENT LIVE FROM T+E 1 CONNECTS TO LIVE OF T+E 2 IN BLOCK ON THEIR OWN
SWITCHED LIVE FROM T+E 2 WITH PERMANENT LIVE FROM 3 C+E (BROWN) IN BLOCK ON THEIR OWN

SWITCHED LIVE FROM 3C+E CONNECTS TO SWITCHED LIVE OF T+E 3 AND CONNECT TO THE FITTING
Any Qs please feel free to ask

Nick

you may need 3 core and E depending on the requirements of the pir's

The only thing with your drawing ColJack is your assuming the feed is at the switch, it may be at the first light as in my example, yours is another way to do it but depends on the actual situation on site.

Nick

going from his first and second posts, I assumed it was a fresh install ( or at least a refit )

maybe so coljack but if you could redraw your drawing showing the switch and perhaps show it wired both ways it would clarify it for the OP, I dont want to have a o at altering it incase i mess the drawing up.

Nick

get lost... :)
It took be an hour to draw that one and I was only on my 2nd glass of wine..
I'm now about halfway down my 3rd BOTTLE ( cut me some slack, I was made redundant at 10AM today... ), and can barely see straight to type...
maybe tomorrow..

weatherite, they make air conditioners for tesco's, Sainsbury's, John Lewis, waitros etc...

no one is spending as much on posh foods, they're all shopping at lidl and aldi, so all the big stores have cut back on their building and refurb projects..

I'd seriously consider a 3c&e to the switch and use a 2gang switch (on and override)!!

Even if you only install a 1gang switch in the beginning!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back