32A Radial Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my house rewire, I am wanting to installed a circuit for my TV sockets, but I want it switchable from one or multiple 'master switches' in the room'.

On discussing the circuit with the council's sub contractor who can round the other week to inspect the house prior to work beginning, we agreed that a radial circuit would be the best option and to install a single DP switch before the sockets.

As I want to go a bit 'over kill' as I am not exactly sure at this time how many devices will be connected here, I have installed a 32A Type B MCB with a 6mm cable to a 45A DP switch.

Now, obviosuly (as I have already tried), I cannot use the 6mm cable to connect between sockets as the two cores do not fit in the back. What do you think I should be doing in this situation?

Thanks

Adam.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A 32A radial can, however, be wired in 4mm cable. :rolleyes:
It can just about if the installation conditions are favorable. It is close to the limit though.

Also mixing cable sizes on a circuit is generally considered bad practice and it sounds like he already has some of the 6mm in and has probablly already bought the rest of the cable.

Do you need it to be 32Amp? Could you not get away with say, 20A and use 2.5 or 4mm.

What is the potential loading of the sockets that yopu intend using for the TVs. If it is only a couple of sets, just use a 20A and 2.5mm. It can be a bit of a swine to bend two 6mm in a medium depth back box.

I am struggling to see what else you could plug into this circuit that would require such 'overkill'. I would assume with your tv you will have all the usual likely suspects such as DVD, video, satellite...

and you would not be intending to plug in your cooker, welder. lathe, washing machine, dishwasher etc. and have them all on at the same time continuously :!:

I would take the advice of 20/ 32A, supplied using 2.5 or 4mm at the most.

Terminating anything bigger is a right pig nigh on impossible.

Your not setting up a weed farm are you and require some heat ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back