32A to 63A

I would argue that having the oven and hob (and hood) on one circuit (especially when in the same location) and one emergency switch is better for avoiding danger - bearing in mind that an isolation switch is not actually required.

Sponsored Links
fair enough, having read the words I believe your interpretation is correct.

If it were me, for the cost of an MCB, (if there was room) I would be tempted to fit a 2nd mcb due to
a) To ensure I got a hot meal :)

Electricans are always on holidays these days, and it can take many days to book one and get them at your house to fault find, and fix a problem. Having one cooking device working would be a benefit

I would argue that having the oven and hob (and hood) on one circuit (especially when in the same location) and one emergency switch is better for avoiding danger - bearing in mind that an isolation switch is not actually required.
Yes, that is certainly one perfectly reasonable argument.

I think that if one ever got to the stage of believing that there was a requirement for an oven and hob to be 'on different circuits', one would be heading towards a situation in which one would also believe that every socket, and every item of fixed equipment, had to be on a dedicated circuit with its own RCBO!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
fair enough, having read the words I believe your interpretation is correct. if it were me, for the cost of an MCB, (if there was room) I would be tempted to fit a 2nd mcb ....
As EFLI has said, it would arguably be 'less safe' to do that'
due to a) To ensure I got a hot meal :)
Quite apart from EFLI's suggestion as to how you could get a hot meal if your oven+hob were out of action, many/most houses these days have other ways of creating hot food - microwaves, slow cookers, electric woks/grills/pressure cookers etc. etc. Even we (whose primary cooking is not electric) have some of those.

For what it's worth, if I had electric ovens and hobs (which I don't) I wouldn't personally even consider having the oven(s) and hob on different circuits.

Kind Regards, John

I had considered the microwave.

I’m not saying you should run a new cable for this reason. However if two cables end up at the cu. it’s only the cost of Mcb to be seperate.

I’m not saying you should run a new cable for this reason. However if two cables end up at the cu. it’s only the cost of Mcb to be seperate.
That's true - but, as has been said, there is at least an argument that it is safer to have ovens+hobs+hood all protected by the same device and all 'killable' by operation of a single 'local emergency switch'.

Kind Regards, John

So you are calling an MCB a "local emergency switch"

Not sure it an MCB is any of those 3 words

So you are calling an MCB a "local emergency switch" ... Not sure it an MCB is any of those 3 words
No. I was saying that if all three appliances are fed from the same circuit (hence MCB), through the same one cable from the MCB in the CU, then one could have a single 'local emergency switch' (which satisfied all three of those words) in that circuit (before it split to go to the three appliances).

Kind Regards, John

yes you could.

Though the OP seams to want to put a junction box above the ceiling.

This doesn't sound accessible.

Would you recommend a MF junction box that would regularly be carrying around 30A ?

A popular brand of 32A MF joint box isn't actually suitable for 6mm conductors, I do not know about others on the market.

I consider it a less than desirable practice to put branches, or multiway joints where you can't get to them easily, MF or not, it makes fault finding more problematic, keep inacessible joints to the straight-through variety used solely to get round the issue of inadequate cable lengths, and make interconnections somewhere more sensible

I consider it a less than desirable practice to put branches, or multiway joints where you can't get to them easily, MF or not, it makes fault finding more problematic, keep inacessible joints to the straight-through variety used solely to get round the issue of inadequate cable lengths, and make interconnections somewhere more sensible
I personally have a lot of sympathy with all of that. However, if one took that approach literally, there would presumably be no place/need for 4-terminal MF JBs like the J804, would there?

Kind Regards, John

I’ve never needed to install one, but then again I also haven’t needed to install a standard junction box for many years either.

yes you could.

Though the OP seams to want to put a junction box above the ceiling.

This doesn't sound accessible.

At the moment the cooker circuit runs from the CU up into the ceiling, where it connects to something like this:

ae235

A cable runs from this down to the kitchen and then connect to one of these

ae235

Which then goes to a cooker connection unit.

The reason that I can't easily use a single connection unit is that the oven and hob are on different sides of a doorway.

So I intend to add a new switch and connection unit for the hob, and add another 6mm cable from the junction box in the ceiling down to the new switch (I ideally wanted to change the junction box in the ceiling with something with a bit more internal space, just for ease)

Or should I put a new junction box in the kitchen, and just chase a route over the doorway?

If I change the box in the ceiling, or put a new box on the kitchen wall, what would be the best products to use?

Might this be appropriate for replacement in the existing position?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagobox-xla-junction-box/412ft

used with these

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1750358

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
If you already have that round junction box in the ceiling I would stick with that.
It should have plenty of space in it (if it looks like a "32A" one).

It may not be complaint, but it will last for decades

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back