3A fused spur for combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys ...i just had a boiler health check done by homserve to see if they will cover my vsillant combi boiler..they guy checked it out and said its working fine...however he said the plug needs to be connected to a 3A fused spur...by the socket ...see pic..he said the present plug has a 13A fuse in it and a spike could damage the workings of the boiler. I said why can't I just put a 3A fuse in the plug? What you guys think?

Attachments

• 20210112_095333.jpg
    20210112_095333.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 2,226
Sponsored Links
Boilers can be run off plugs but it should technically be an unswitched socket. You're right though, a 3A fuse in the plug would do the same job as one in an FCU.

You'll likely get poor value for money buying boiler cover. Much better to keep that money in the bank and pay a trusted local engineer as and when you need to. Boiler doesn't look very old?

The boiler is about 8 yrars old.. They guy just left earlier have to wait to see if homserve will cover my boiler...so basically I need to run a 2.5mm cable from the socket into a 3A fcu to which the boiler cable is wired too?

Sponsored Links
As above -
Keep the plug (you do not have to have a FCU), change to a 3A fuse (although not really needed), if you want to change socket to a switch free version.
SFK

Best practice to fit a FCU with a 3A fuse IMO.

You can get a dual single gang back box to replace you current back box and then change it to an FCU and single gang socket.

Could do as sfk mentioned but will homserve approve that...I was thinking of getting a surface mount back box..and fitting the fcu onto that...the surface mount box will have pushouts for cable coming in from socket and boilet cable...but how will I add 2.5mm cable to existing socket to go to surface mount box?..dont really want to cut out a channel...could I just cut out a notch in the existing socket and take the cable up and cover cable with clip on cover?....saying all that will wait to see what homserve say...but really a 3a in the plug should do it..

As mentioned you can get one of these, take your old back box out and replace with this. Then you can single socket and fcu it.

th

Still be cheaper to keep your money in the bank and call a local engineer as & when you need one... almost certainly wouldn't have to go messing around with the electrics then either

Over the years I have been asked to look at quite a few systems where the householder had been trying to replace a part (usually a room thermostat) and caused a live to neutral short circuit. Several times, the overload had caused the programmer switch contacts to weld together. Every time I have found this to have happened, the system always had a 13A fuse fitted. Not once have I found it happen on system with a 3A fuse fitted .....coincidence? .....maybe .....

That sounds better ..link to bits I need screwfix preferably...ta

If you change the back box, the double back box is wider, so will involve some effort chopping the wall to make it wider. It might be not much more difficult to simply add a second single box alongside, for a fused, double pole switched spur unit. That would also free up your socket.

I agree on finding a good local engineer, rather than paying a national company. Better service and cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back