Fused Spur for Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been given a quote for a new boiler by Britsh Gas.
I have had the current one for over 20years.
Within the quote is the installation of a new "fused spur".
The present electrics for the boiler come via a dedicated, normal 13amp plug and socket.
Why must it be replaced, it is a spur and it is fused?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is a socket outlet that has a switch on it most do , although it will turn the boiler off it only isolates thr live it does not isolate the neutral so the only way to competely isolate the supply would be to pull the plug out , which might not occur so you require a fuse spur switch or a socket with no manual switch e.g the only way to isolate is pull plug out !! Hope this makes sense ???

If it is a socket outlet that has a switch on it most do , although it will turn the boiler off it only isolates thr live it does not isolate the neutral so the only way to competely isolate the supply would be to pull the plug out , which might not occur so you require a fuse spur switch or a socket with no manual switch

What?! Plug and socket is a perfectly acceptable form of isolation, and as long as the socket is near the boiler, it will be immediately obvious to anyone working on it whether or not the supply has been isolated. However, a fused connection unit will be a little neater, and will prevent the boiler from being accidentally disconnected.

Of course, if the instructions for the boiler state that the electrical connections must be via an FCU, then there's no decision to be made, as the MI's must be followed.

I think what transam is trying to say is that a plug and unswitched socket is acceptable , that way you have to pull the plug to isolate the boiler, at least I think thats what he meant ;)

Sponsored Links
I think what transam is trying to say is that a plug and unswitched socket is acceptable , that way you have to pull the plug to isolate the boiler, at least I think thats what he meant ;)

Yup, on re-reading it does appear that way. However, the point still stands - anyone working on the electrical side of the boiler should know this stuff. What next - will we have to start fitting double pole light switches such that the neutral is isolated when the householder needs to change a light bulb, just in case? :LOL:

Switched plug socket has never been an approved method.

NCS on existing installation.

See the occasional new install on a switched socket and it smacks of amateur. Very DIY

BG will have a sparky fit a fused spur, wire any new heating components and test the existing circuits. They will then issue you a minor works certificate along with all your paperwork after its all done.

Thats what I was Trying to say it all got lost in translation :oops: thanks to Picasso for clearing up my cofusing poorley explained response :)

Switched plug socket has never been an approved method.

See the occasional new install on a switched socket and it smacks of amateur. Very DIY

I wasn't aware that gas regulations even covered the electrical side of the installation, but as far as BS7671 is concerned, there's nothing at all wrong with connection via plug and socket.

Exactly which regulations would make this NCS? I'm not being funny here, I really would like to know and learn a little something myself!

Not in a regulation but the boiler installation instructions.

Fair enough, but it's a bit of a sweeping statement to say this...

...without even knowing what boiler the OP will be having installed. I assume, of course, that not all manufacturers insist on connection via FCU. I guess it all comes down to what I said right from the start:

Of course, if the instructions for the boiler state that the electrical connections must be via an FCU, then there's no decision to be made, as the MI's must be followed.

virtually all the MIs say a switched spur or unswitched socked.

I think I might start posting in the electrics forum. Give my opinion there.

If it's BG quoting then it will be a boiler that BG fits. These will state the method of electrical connection.

Yup, on re-reading it does appear that way. However, the point still stands - anyone working on the electrical side of the boiler should know this stuff. What next - will we have to start fitting double pole light switches such that the neutral is isolated when the householder needs to change a light bulb, just in case?

If the live and neutral were reversed, the switch would interrupt the neutral and live would light up all the connections in the boiler leaving a hazardous situation. having an unswitched socket, one pulls the plug before tinkering with the electrics.

In my book an unswitched socket is preferable to any other type of connection.

I'm sorry everyone, at the start I should have said that it would be a Vallant EcoTec Pro 24kw High Efficiency Condensing Combi Boiler.
At the end of the day, if BG do install it, I will get a new fused spur, I just wondered why and what the difference was?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back