Fused spur or socket?

P

persiamomolti

Fitting boiler at customers house and have stated that the boiler requires a fused spur. The boiler has however a three pin socket just below boiler and customer has asked if it can be plugged in here permanently. I normally illegally fit one from nearest socket but didn`t price for doing this one.Anyone know the score on wether boiler can be connected permanently via 3 amp plug (obviously very localised)?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
have a look in cc about troll.would like to know meself about that one also.

The simple idea is that if there is a switch then someone might turn it off by accident.

Tony

Get a grip Agile someone could turn a fused spur off also :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The reason for it it is boilers are fitted on a double pole fused spur so that when fused spur is turned off both the live and neutral are broke.

Switched sockets only break one so under certain conditions you could still have power going to the boiler when you think its off. By just using switch

No switch then you would pull plug out to disconnect appliance.

Get a grip Agile someone could turn a fused spur off also :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The reason for it it is boilers are fitted on a double pole fused spur so that when fused spur is turned off both the live and neutral are broke.

A fused spur can only be turned off if it is a switched fused spur.

Because they are cheaper I have to say many fused spurs I see are not switched.

Any experienced engineer would always pull out the plug before working on an appliance.

I always test for voltage before touching anything apparently turned off by a switched fused spur as I have seen them wrongly connected and dangerous.

Tony

Which is why the rules say double pole switched fused spur or no switch plug and socket FFS its simple

indeed. a non switched fused spur is only single pole and therefore useless.

double pole switched fuse spurs dont know they are wired wrong by idiots.

A fused spur can only be turned off if it is a switched fused spur.

Because they are cheaper I have to say many fused spurs I see are not switched.

Load of backpedalling going on here to be honest, very rare to see a fused spur without a switch in most of my years being involved in servicing the likes of back boilers etc, Agile has a problem with admitting he is wrong sometimes. ;) and most of you probably haven`t carried out a service on an appliance, never mind checked the fuse rating, turned off a boiler that had been serviced by BG for 5 years last week undersized gas pipe to boiler and wrong fuse in plug (13amp). Hilarious, won`t be long before they kill someone. Doing a refit on kitchen and BG `engineer` called to do service,never went near meter, didn`t change any seals, didn`t even remove burner. Used flue analyser and left. :LOL:
The owner promptly cancelled his BG contract after I ripped him to bits and gave his service contract to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back