4.4kW on a plug?

N

Newboy

Doing some minor works at a clients house and was surprised to find a build-under double oven (with a rating plate 4400W) connected via flex (don't know CSA) & plug(top) to an unswitched 1 gang socket switched above worktop by 45 amp DP cooker switch.

Diversity or cr*p installation?

Sponsored Links
Interesting.

Using the standard diversity calculation you get less than 13A.

So if a circuit with a cable with a CCC of 13A was used, and a 13A OPD used, all would be well.

So why not this?

Sponsored Links
Seems to be the case - top and bottom oven seem to work with no interlock to prevent simultaneous use.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a grill element in addition to the top oven element - possibly taking the total load to 4.4kW but not possible with two elements alone.

Can't track down an manual for the product - despite checking all the usual sources and the manufacturer.

Appliance has been in use for over 10 years - plug(top), flex & socket all look undamaged

Seems to be the case - top and bottom oven seem to work with no interlock to prevent simultaneous use.
As it should be.

If I bought a double oven and found I could only use one at a time I'd be returning it toot sweet.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a grill element in addition to the top oven element - possibly taking the total load to 4.4kW but not possible with two elements alone.
You probably can't use the grill and the top oven at the same time.

The maker might have just added up all 3 elements and got 4.4kW - as EFLI says, it's a strange amount, as it busts the oh-so-common 16A. Don't suppose you noticed if it was made for a market where 3-phase is common?

Appliance has been in use for over 10 years - plug(top), flex & socket all look undamaged
Which prompts me to repeat my question.

Everyone is happy with IbInIz when Ib is found using the normal diversity calculation, and In & Iz are 16, or 20, or 32 etc.

So why not when it's 12.7 ≤ 13 ≤ {whatever the flex is}?

So why not when it's 12.7 ≤ 13 ≤ {whatever the flex is}?
I think it is applicable with a double oven

but

IF all 4.4kW were on or off together and only switching on and off with the thermostat I would not be so comfortable with it being on a plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back