4 Blown Dimmers ?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have had my lighting replaced in the kitchen with 240v Halogen spots

I have 2 banks of 6 lights, fed by a 2g dimmer.

Each of the banks totals 300W, my electrician (and various Manufacturer sites) states that we need to uprate by 20% - so a 400W dimmer shouold be fine.

However, we are about to replace one of the dimmer modules for the 4th time.....

Any suggestions as to why the dimmer modules would keep blowing ?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Sponsored Links
The surge caused by a failing lamp can take out the semiconducor in the dimmer.
Halogens also have a high inrush current when they are first switched on. As a rule of thumb when using halogens you should double the size of dimmer switch to the halogen load unless the switch manufacturer says otherwise.

You could try better quality dimmers.

Soft start ones prolong lamp life, and often do not require derating when used with halogen loads.

If you use branded lamps (eg Osram, GE etc) these have an internal fuse in each lamp which will protect the dimmer if the lamp goes.

SB

Oh, and I understood that the dimmer max load should be 1.5x the actual load, so each dimmer at 450W. You might struggle to find this on a single plate...

Sponsored Links
If you use branded lamps (eg Osram, GE etc)

Wahey!!

Some of my Osram Obsession has rubbed off on you SB!!!

You beat me to it!

To the OP, MK even put warnings in their dimmer packaging about using branded lamps, otherwise it will get toasted in the event of lamp failure.

Use quality gear always.

You could try better quality dimmers.

Soft start ones prolong lamp life, and often do not require derating when used with halogen loads.

The problem is unlikely to relate to the dimmers....sparkybird had it right with the branded lamp suggestion... by the way, cheap imported GU10s (non fused) can easily fry a dimmer regardless of de-rating.

Yes, contrary to popular belief (hubby!), I do listen and take things on board, although obviously I'm always right!!

SB

I use branded lamps.

9 times out of 10 when one fails it takes out the MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back