4 port USB 2 hub

So you don't know computer science? Nice one. Don't bother me again.

And what is this meant to mean?

Once again, you barged into this thread with no idea about what is being discussed. I build computers for a living. I own more than you have fingers. So you'd best actually use some words to explain exactly how I'm going wrong, or you'll just make yourself look like an idiot.

I also build computers for a living, I own more than you have fingers. Don't presume, or assume. Did you see the comment 'DON'T BOTHER ME AGAIN", or were you unable to read that?? Presumably you are illiterate, so you posted again? SO DON'T BOTHER ME AGAIN...

I don't take orders from you. And until you stop posting senseless, illogical crap about things I know like the back of my hand, I will not stop refuting it.

I'll ask you one more time, civilly, to explain to me, in detail, how I am wrong.

Sponsored Links
The part that said 'STOP BOTHERING ME', which you clearly ignored.

I've had trouble with USB splitters on PC's as well as PS.
I will assume by splitters you mean hubs.

It's all fine and good with low access devices, as it operates at a lower speed, it's when high speed devices need to access the USB, the hub then needs to be powered, to amp up the signal.
Uh, no, the signal doesn't need amplifying, and powered hubs have nothing to do with high speed devices.
The hub always regenerates the signal and even for high speed it should easilly be able to do that within it's 100ma power budget.

I think USB3 will be even worse.
We will have to see how things pan out but I don't see any technical reason why it should be worse.

Double DIN USB overcame this, as that carries power, but wasn't used mainstream.
Assuming by double DIN usb you mean "powered USB" a HUB could in principle be designed that used powered USB to provide it's downstream devices with a full 500ma of power. However given that as you say powered USB never caught on outside of some niches (the fact there are three incompatible variants with different voltages probablly didn't help) it's irrelevent here.

One solution it to upgrade the psu in the ps3. (or pc).
BS, USB maxes out officially at about 2.5W and there is (or at least should be) overcurrent protection limiting the actual power available from a USB port to not much more than this. This ammount of power is negligible compared to what the PSU can provide.

If you don't want to be "bothered" when you post bullshit then please leave this forum and don't come back

It's a waste of type on you mate, as you can never see that you talk bunkum. You have backtracked
The only "backtracking" I see is his realising that you probablly meant Powered USB when you said "USB double DIN".

Now back to the topic of the thread. When a device is plugged in and enumerated it tells the host how many units of power it needs. Each unit is 100ma. The host can then either allow enumaration or block it if the device needs more power than the port can provide. Devices on the host or on an independently powered hub are allowed to draw the full 5 units. Devices on a bus powered hub are only allowed to draw one unit (see the paragraph on bus powered hubs in 7.2.1 of the USB 2.0 spec). If a device needs more power than is available the host should refuse to enumerate it and post an error.

At least that's how things are supposed to work. In reality there are lots of things that can screw this up including but not limited to:

1: voltage. USB hosts are required to have overcurrent protection and bus powered USB hubs are required to have power switching (so they don't start drawing more than 100ma until after enumeration). Cables also have volt drop. The result is that in a setup with a bus powered hub the voltage can be nearer 4V than 5V by the time it reaches the device. It's easy to forget/ignore this when building USB devices.
2: many hub vendors ignore the specs and make thier hubs enumerate as self powered regardless of how they are actually powered. So rather than refusing to enumerate things start to fail in strange ways as the voltage drops away and/or overcurrent protection starts to kick in.
3: When enumeration fails the error may not make it as far as the user. I'm not sure how the PS3 behaves in this regard.

To the OP the best advice is to get a hub that takes external power. If it still doesn't work there probablly isn't much you can do.

Edit: screwed up slightly on the quoting sorry I think it's right now.

Uh, no, the signal doesn't need amplifying, and powered hubs have nothing to do with high speed devices.
The hub always regenerates the signal and even for high speed it should easilly be able to do that within it's 100ma power budget.

100mA is certainly more than enough, I see no way even a 7-port hub (which is actually two 4-port hubs, which raises an interesting question about power budgets I've been meaning to research) would draw anywhere near 100mA for its own operation.

plugwash said:
Double DIN USB overcame this, as that carries power, but wasn't used mainstream.
Assuming by double DIN usb you mean "powered USB" a HUB could in principle be designed that used powered USB to provide it's downstream devices with a full 500ma of power. However given that as you say powered USB never caught on outside of some niches (the fact there are three incompatible variants with different voltages probablly didn't help) it's irrelevent here.

Powered USB provides 6A mind, not 500mA. ;)

plugwash said:
One solution it to upgrade the psu in the ps3. (or pc).
BS, USB maxes out officially at about 2.5W and there is (or at least should be) overcurrent protection limiting the actual power available from a USB port to not much more than this. This ammount of power is negligible compared to what the PSU can provide.

This is what I was trying to explain, it didn't seem to take.

plugwash said:
If you don't want to be "bothered" when you post bulls**t then please leave this forum and don't come back

Hear hear.

Sponsored Links
Why do people with no idea post into forums?

I am one of those who have no idea. :cry: I post on here because I like to get answers to or advice about my problems. :confused: On other issues and on other forums I often can help out or give the benefit of my experience. ;) I am grateful for input...........having years ago had to go to retail outlets to get often less than helpful assistance with electronic or tech things I find forums to be a godsend. That is why I post. ;) ;)

the PSU in a device which already has an over-specced PSU

Words of praise for the PS3. :D

Provides power to subsituary devices direcy via the USB link.

Asda use them to power the printer from the base unit, and the scanner, and the hand scanner..no external power, all from the USB double din.

Provides power to subsituary devices direcy via the USB link.

I think it's been established that USB provides power. 5VDC to be precise, up to 500mA in units of 100mA, for USB 2.0 at least.

Say, you don't happen to work in a computer shop do you? Perhaps advised a customer of mine early last year that PCI-E 2.0 GPUs are incompatible with PCI-E 1.1 motherboards? You remind me of him somehow...

Ignorance of facts are best ignored.

Nobody heard of double din usb? where the 12 and 5 volts are spplied on one level, and the usb at the other? shame!

Can you try again in English? Because that just doesn't parse.

Oh, and I see you've brought up the Powered USB again. For the record, I know what it is (and it is not called 'USB double DIN', and it does not use standard cables), I know what it provides (6A at 5V, 12V, or 24V), and I know what it's used for. And I know what it's not used for: Domestic equipment. So let's just drop that little obsession of yours, because it doesn't belong in this thread.

Oh, and I see you've brought up the Powered USB again. For the record, I know what it is (and it is not called 'USB double DIN', and it does not use standard cables), I know what it provides (6A at 5V, 12V, or 24V), and I know what it's used for. And I know what it's not used for: Domestic equipment. So let's just drop that little obsession of yours, because it doesn't belong in this thread.

Try a little research at IBM's homepage, because I was repairing these 5 years ago, but you seem to have no concept of the idea? Don't keep quoting the same 'I don't understand you', but do the research. Be a man.

Try a little research at IBM's homepage, because I was repairing these 5 years ago, but you seem to have no concept of the idea? Don't keep quoting the same 'I don't understand you', but do the research. Be a man.

Uh, perhaps you could link me, because 'USB double DIN' doesn't show up anywhere.

And why don't you be a man, and argue with facts, instead of telling me to go away and stop 'bothering' you.

I just told you where to look, and I spoke in English. So stop bothering me.

Ignorant to the facts, unable to confirm them.

I just told you where to look, and I spoke in English. So stop bothering me.

Ok, so I've searched on IBM's site for 'USB double DIN'. I got zero relevant results. So, give me a link to back up your wild claims or just accept that it's actually called Powered USB, and that I do know what it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back