4 port USB 2 hub

So, OP:

If the USB 2.0 hub is bus-powered (ie. no separate power adapter), get one with a power supply. Otherwise, just use the hub for other devices and plug that XCM adapter straight in.

And leave DIN boy alone, he has a short temper

Sponsored Links
Let's see if I have this right and if I have learned anything. Please excuse the non-tech layman's language. The USB ports on a PC or PS3 or such like have about 500ma available each. If I plug in a 4 port hub it needs 100ma itself so the 4 ports get the remaining 400ma - 100ma each.
I spotted that lead length may have an effect. I have a really long extension USB lead between the PS3 and the 4 port and I can see that voltage drop could occur and may muddy the picture but I only use the XCM on the end of this lead (with or without a 4 port). I got the 4 port hub to be able to use other stuff like a keyboard also, and, indeed, the keyboard does work whether on its own or when the XCM is connected too. For the purpose of this problem I had no other USB item attached, just the XCM alone. The old USB1.1 4 port hub works fine but the three USB2.0s that I have tried just won't.
I have the long lead as the TV and me are on the other side of a wall from the PS3. The PS3 is located with the main TV but I have to go into the next room mainly to play the games. I have another thread where I asked about using two TVs from the PS3.
So now I am going to find a powered USB 4 port hub and see if that will do the trick.
I have read every word and tried to take it all in - I really wasn't intending to create any animosity. ;)

Just found this.......
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Belkin-USB-2-...puting_Cables_USB_Hubs_ET&hash=item2c54e82770

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Let's see if I have this right and if I have learned anything. Please excuse the non-tech layman's language. The USB ports on a PC or PS3 or such like have about 500ma available each. If I plug in a 4 port hub it needs 100ma itself so the 4 ports get the remaining 400ma - 100ma each.

I doubt it'll use all 100mA itself, but yes, the ports only get 100mA each.

I spotted that lead length may have an effect. I have a really long extension USB lead between the PS3 and the 4 port and I can see that voltage drop could occur and may muddy the picture but I only use the XCM on the end of this lead (with or without a 4 port).

How long is this lead?

I got the 4 port hub to be able to use other stuff like a keyboard also, and, indeed, the keyboard does work whether on its own or when the XCM is connected too. For the purpose of this problem I had no other USB item attached, just the XCM alone. The old USB1.1 4 port hub works fine but the three USB2.0s that I have tried just won't.

As I suggested, try a powered hub.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
How long is this lead?
About ten feet. :oops: :oops: :oops: I am sure you will not be happy about it but I have to go from one room to the other. ;)

Three metres is quite acceptable for a USB cable. On the other hand, is this an A-B lead or an extension? Adding the ~1.8m of a normal A-B on the end of that is getting too close for comfort.

You may want to pick up an A-B lead instead of the extension, too.
That would have caught me out as I thought it would be USB to USB, not mini. I have a few short ones like for the mobile phone. Need to see if it does the trick first. One I might bid on isn't clear about it so I am waiting for clarification.
Interestingly on this one half way down under tech spec it says it will work with any USB peripheral. :rolleyes:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Mains-Power-Supply-Cable/dp/B002LPVO66#moreAboutThisProduct

You may want to pick up an A-B lead instead of the extension, too.
That would have caught me out as I thought it would be USB to USB, not mini. I have a few short ones like for the mobile phone. Need to see if it does the trick first. One I might bid on isn't clear about it so I am waiting for clarification.
Interestingly on this one half way down under tech spec it says it will work with any USB peripheral. :rolleyes:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Mains-Power-Supply-Cable/dp/B002LPVO66#moreAboutThisProduct[/QUOTE]

A-B isn't mini. If it were mini, I'd have said so. A is the rectangular connector, B is the square one. Full size.

And yes, that hub should work with just about anything.

A-B isn't mini. If it were mini, I'd have said so. A is the rectangular connector, B is the square one.

Ah yes thanks, I did know that. My Lexmark printer and a few other things use A-B and I do have a spare of those but I think in one of the mains powered USB 4 port hubs I read about while searching it said it used mini USB and that's why I ended up saying what I did. I am trying to find the cheapest buy and there are lots to sift through as the searches bring up powered hubs which are powered from the PC/laptop as well as the mains ones. :oops:

Oh, right, those use a mini-B to cram in the power connector. Just get an adapter. ;)

Oh, right, those use a mini-B to cram in the power connector. Just get an adapter. ;)
I have some USB to mini USB leads which I could use while I see if it works. ;) Then later I could get and adapter or a 10 feet USB to mini USB lead. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back