40% of his match fee..

Sponsored Links
A fine performance by England, just need to finish the job off now and win the series.
Bearing in mind it's a pyss poor Aussie team that have been in decline for the last three years.
England need to prove themselves by winning the next test and then giving India a game next year, that will give us a fairer reading of how far they have come.
As for the Aussies the future is bleak! or sleep! ;)

How have England won, when 2-1 up with one to play? Can't it be a draw? Do away wins/goals/wickets come into play? Never understood Rugby, Cricket, or a fax machine.

To win a tiny urn of ash. Nice, then get an OBE, MBE etc ?? Should get a WTF!

How have England won, when 2-1 up with one to play? Can't it be a draw? Do away wins/goals/wickets come into play? Never understood Rugby, Cricket, or a fax machine.

To win a tiny urn of ash. Nice, then get an OBE, MBE etc ?? Should get a WTF!
England have retained the Ashes because all they needed to do was draw the series. As they now lead 2-1 with one to play, their job of retaining the ashes is complete.

However, for the sake of ranking points etc, it is important they also go on to win the Ashes series.

Footballers are grossly over-rewarded every week with multi-thousand pound pay packets whether they win or lose or whether they score a goal or not. Whereas England's cricketers fight their heart out for comparatively modest financial reward but are also proud to do so whilst wearing the England shirt. Our footballers, on the other hand, did the exact opposite whilst wearing the England shirt.
Not enough money i guess.

So when a team makes the country proud for something as noble as pride, whilst wearing an England shirt, why should the Queen not recognise their efforts.

Sponsored Links
When I played cricket at school, most times were either stood around fielding, or stood around waiting to bat as I recall.

Football was running around, supporting your team, drawing the defence away, tactics, and me stood in goal, shivering, or more hopefully, stood on the sidelines picking litter if that excuse letter that I wrote that week was convincing enough to pass as being from my parents. :LOL:

I agree most Premier league footballers are overpaid idiots, N'Zogbia headbutting a player, didn't touch him, went to ground in a pile of pain, both could get jobs at the RSC, but the report of a cricket player having an 'unreported' 'ugly' argument with an umpire? And this name calling that cricketers do? All sportsmen are overpaid, should do it for the love of the game, not the money.

All sportsmen are overpaid, should do it for the love of the game, not the money.

The sportsmen and women we see on tele are at the peak of their game and have gone through a heck of a lot to reach that position. Some will have been going through pain since a child.

They will have sacrificed a lot and have chosen a 'career' path that has steered them away from conventional employment. As a result of their hard work and skill we at home pay to watch them entertain us.

Of course they deserve to be well paid.

However, when a sportsman receives £100,000 per week whether he is sitting on a bench or nutting another player is beyond me.

I feel obliged to agree with some of the comments.
Some sportsmen/women have the foresight/determination/ambition to not only train hard and long for their chosen "career". In their early career choice they often display the maturity lacking in some adults and older children.

Not forgetting the support, dedication and sacrifice made by the parents and coaches also.

I remember an old saying, often quoted: "If you want to go to heaven, be prepared to die". Maybe a bit OTT, but it makes the point.

These comments may not only refer to sportspeople, but to other professionals at the top of thier 'game'

All sportsmen are overpaid, should do it for the love of the game, not the money.

The sportsmen and women we see on tele are at the peak of their game and have gone through a heck of a lot to reach that position. Some will have been going through pain since a child.

They will have sacrificed a lot and have chosen a 'career' path that has steered them away from conventional employment. As a result of their hard work and skill we at home pay to watch them entertain us.

Of course they deserve to be well paid.

However, when a sportsman receives £100,000 per week whether he is sitting on a bench or nutting another player is beyond me.

And at which point do they decide to take drugs to improve their performance, or take bribes, to throw a match/game, which has been in the media recently? Pay them the general wage of the population, if they perform, pay them extra, like in any job. If they love the game, play for the love of the game.

And at which point do they decide to take drugs to improve their performance, or take bribes, to throw a match/game, which has been in the media recently? Pay them the general wage of the population, if they perform, pay them extra, like in any job. If they love the game, play for the love of the game.
Your suggestion is both flawed and ridiculous.

You are suggesting that these people train for years, to eventually become televised entertainers, earning millions for t.v. companies and the like for a general wage or love?

Would you expect a hard working employee, who has worked his way to the top of his profession, in any other business to do likewise?

Micky, if it were left to you, televised sport would become extinct. Too dull to watch. Could you imagine watching a couple of amateurish tennis players hitting balls to each other or watching a Sunday league pub side on tele.

I agree that some sports-peoples wages are grossly disproportionate. However there are certain crowd pullers in the game that create millions in revenue by simply being at a tournament.

Why should they not get a slice? They could always turn round and say i will play some place else.

Fantastic performance, each and everyone performed, even Collingwood be it more his bowling and fielding.
I was particularly impressed by Ian Bells innings, some of the shots he made were brilliant.

Sponsored Links
Back