Middle lane hoggers = 3 points?

Before you two get embroiled in an argument which leads to this thread being locked :rolleyes:, my father was pulled over about 20 years ago by the police for driving too slowly on the motorway (doing 40 or so on the inside lane) and was told that this speed was considered "hazardous" for the purpose of motorway driving.

Sponsored Links
He should have told the man with the red flag to run quicker! :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Anyone who believes that driving at 40 in the middle lane of a motorway is not dangerous is self evidently an idiot.
Probably one of those people who've "never had an accident in 30 years of driving", but caused carnage in their wake.

I was driving down the M1 the other day when my dad rung me on my hands free mobile. He told me that there had been a news report about some madman driving down the M1 going the wrong way. I told him " What do you mean one madman?" " They're all driving the wrong way!!"
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

It IS illegal to drive too slowly on a motorway, and there are roadsigns to enforce this.

I was called to fix something on a military base, and was surprised to see a 'minimum speed' sign...

But if you drive too slow on a motorway, you also break the rules, obstruction? maybe like the offside rule?

Both Mersey tunnels have a minimum speed limit of 10mph.
Common sense dictates that if there is a large volume of traffic then it will slow down, especially at 'peak' times when drivers slow/stop to pay the toll and I know of no-one who has ever been ticketed for going too slow in these situations.

It IS illegal to drive too slowly on a motorway, and there are roadsigns to enforce this.

really? care to post a picture of one?
I've never seen a "you must be going this fast to join the motorway" sign..

how do they cope with wide / oversize / special loads then?

There is no minimum speed limit, but you could be arrested and fined for driving too slow.

Although driving at 40mph on a motorway you are not breaking the law, you could be causing distress to other road users.

i think there is actually. a vehichle incapable of speed over 25mph isn't allowed on a motorway.

the one thing that should be banned from motorways in my opinion is F**** cranes! crawling along the M3/M27 at 30MPH in the rush hour they are a menace! Lorries should be banned from overtaking on uphill motorway sections as well.

my son had a problem with his car the other week and had to limp along to the services (he was driving at about 50) he got pulled by the busies and told off for driving too slowly! FFS
yet they do naff all about the idiots who sit in the middle lane puteling along at 60! yes 3 points would be a great idea. and if you get caught a 3rd time then banned from motorways for life!

There is no minimum speed limit, but you could be arrested and fined for driving too slow.

Although driving at 40mph on a motorway you are not breaking the law, you could be causing distress to other road users.

i think there is actually. a vehichle incapable of speed over 25mph isn't allowed on a motorway.

the one thing that should be banned from motorways in my opinion is F**** cranes! crawling along the M3/M27 at 30MPH in the rush hour they are a menace! Lorries should be banned from overtaking on uphill motorway sections as well.

my son had a problem with his car the other week and had to limp along to the services (he was driving at about 50) he got pulled by the busies and told off for driving too slowly! FFS
yet they do naff all about the idiots who sit in the middle lane puteling along at 60! yes 3 points would be a great idea. and if you get caught a 3rd time then banned from motorways for life!

There isnt a minimum speed limit on a motorway. Unless there are roadworks, temporary sped limits etc.

Some bridges and tunnels have minimum speed limits

I can see the argument for giving middle lane hoggers 3 points but how is it to be enforced?
I can remember advice somewhere that said when overtaking on a motorway pull back into the left lane unless the next overtaking manouver is within the next ten seconds, i.e. don't overtake , pull back drive for 5 seconds and then pull out again.
Given that there aren't enough police cars to catch all the reps doing 95mph in the outside lane how on earth are they going to find the time to follow a dawdler given that the nature of the "crime" can't be caught on cameras?
Don't know about banning cranes or banning lorries from overtaking on hills. This would put all the huge cranes onto smaller roads causing problems elseware, and many modern lorries can maintain their speed going up hill anyway and use this time to overtake less powerful or older lorries to save the problems of bunching and maintain delivery times.

There should be one speed for the middle and outside lane. 70mph. Slower than 65 and cameras would book you. Faster than 75 and cameras get you. If all the traffic travelled at the same speed there would be no overtaking and no collisions.

So if I'm doing 65 in the "slow" lane and want to overtake do I speed up in that lane and break the law or pull over at 65 into the middle lane and break the law?

Sponsored Links
Back