Middle lane hoggers = 3 points?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On M62 this morning and traffic was heavier than usual HGV,s blocking up lanes 1/2 for a couple of miles..expected a collision or roadworks but as I went down the outside lane the problem was a guy about doing about 40 mph in the middle lane with a hgv inches behind him, now this was not a elderly guy (which I expected) but a guy about 30-40 , I think this guy may have never passed his test and if he has there should be a 3 point penalty and a test retake but these drivers need educating

Sponsored Links
why?

70mph is the speed LIMIT, not the speed that you absolutely MUST drive at on the motorway..

he may have pulled out to overtake something slower in the 1st lane, but then found that his veihicle was underpowered on a hill and was then unable to pull back in due to trucks constantly undertaking him..

I must admit that on occasion I've been tempted to pull in front of a truck in the middle lane that is "overtaking" another truck in the 1st lane by only half a mile an hour difference ( taking several miles to actually complete the manouver ) and then slowing down to force the truck to pull back in behind the one that's going half a MPH slower than he was..

because going to slow on dual carriage ways and motorways causes a danger to other road users, hence why going to slow on your driving test is a Failure. Highly unlikely he's overtaking something at 40mph lets be realistic. Just another idiot that somehow managed to get through the test, or maybe one of the millions of foreigners on our roads who can buy their way through a driving test in their homeland.

I would be extremely surprised if the boys in blue would have pulled him had they seen him. No doubt he's a safe driver :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If he had mechanical problems why does he not go in the inside lane with hazards on, safe driver my a@@e these poeple have not got a clue about driving and I think bodgeit is right 3 points would amend their driving

If he had mechanical problems why does he not go in the inside lane with hazards on, safe driver my a@@e these poeple have not got a clue about driving and I think bodgeit is right 3 points would amend their driving

Ban them from motorways until they have taken a motorway driving test.

Had the Police seen this driver, he could have been stopped and done for Failing to make proper progress. 40mph in the middle lane of a motorway is downright dangerous.
Perhaps he's been reading the kilometre markings on his speedometer instead of the MPH ??

There is no minimum speed limit, but you could be arrested and fined for driving too slow.

Although driving at 40mph on a motorway you are not breaking the law, you could be causing distress to other road users.

If you are not breaking a law what would you be charged with?

Driving without reasonable care and consideration, although it is quite rare people can be prosecuted.

It is very dangerous to drive at such low speeds, especially in the middle lane and especially at 40mph.

What if the left lane has lorries crawling up hill at 20 mph?

What if the left lane has lorries crawling up hill at 20 mph?

Different situation, you would have no choice but to overtake them, but when you have finished overtaking you return to the inside lane.

The problem now is, and the police and authoroties know, is that the increase in traffic over the years has made the middle lane pretty much a cruising lane.

lots of people drive in an overtaking lane when they aren't overtaking anyone.

In some parts of the country, people will just nip past on the inside.

Sponsored Links
Back