40A RCBO but Neutral Lead Rated 32A

My guess is there was probably no call for 40A RCBOs when they bulk bought their flyleads.

Sponsored Links
My guess is there was probably no call for 40A RCBOs when they bulk bought their flyleads.
So they just went ahead and fitted undersized leads to their 40A, 45A and 50A RCBOs when they did decide to make them?

(Yes I know I've not checked 45 or 50A, but have made an assumption there)

Has anyone given them a bell?

I've got a number for Hager Tech Support in my work phone (is it still valid?)

0870 607 6677

Sponsored Links
I emailed the photo to them, got a reply saying it's been passed to the product manager. I checked a couple of other sizes, the 6A is marked "6A - 20A" and 32A "25A - 32A". The 32A lead is thinner than that on the 40A so could just be a labelling issue.

Tony S

Finally a definitive answer from Hager giving the sizes of the neutral leads that should be fitted. Apparently it should be 4mm2 CSA on the 40A. The swaged end is more or less rectangular in cross section and I measured it at 3.1 x 1.7 mm. If I round that down to 3.0 x 1.6 then that's a 4.8mm2 CSA so it looks like it's the correct lead, in spite of the marking.

Quote from the product manager
By the way, the cable shouldn’t be printed “32A max” because it is confusing.
Disappointing it took so long, and took a few incorrect responses as well, for example their first response was that the same gauge cable was used on all sizes, which is clearly not the case, or not always the case.

the MEM RCBO pods I used to get all came with a huge 60A neutral lead.

Finally a definitive answer from Hager giving the sizes of the neutral leads that should be fitted. Apparently it should be 4mm2 CSA on the 40A.
Yes, that does sort of make sense (though you have to interpolate Table 4D1A based on bigger sizes 'in free air or on a tray').

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back