45 amp dp switch with neon light for cooker

I find it almost impossible to thank you.

Cheers, mate! Next time we'll just take the pee AND not give you the advice you need, leaving you to pay to get it sorted.

We are well aware this is a DIY site and we are here to offer help and advice, but it does rankle somewhat when someone such as yourself comes on the forum claiming to have done the job correctly, when in reality you have made a most basic error.

It plainly isn't wired correctly otherwise it would not be displaying the symptoms it does!!

For your own safety you must recognise your own limitations. Next time you may make a mistake that could injure or kill yourself or another.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you've got the mains feed connected to the load side of the switch.
The makers cunningly mark the switches "Load" and "supply" to make it almost impossible for someone to do what you have done.

Its easy to fix. Leave the earth wires where they are but swop over the live and neutrals.

hello i have just had my cooker switch and main pannel in kitchen with fridge,washing machine, hob, etc, on replaced and i have the same problem, all the neon lights stay on, i questioned the so called electrician on this and he said yeah its right its just letting you know there is power going to the sockets so are mine all wrong was this an incompetent sparky and is this dangerous can anyone please help

regards maria

so are mine all wrong

Not sure what you mean.

Do the neon lights go off when you turn the switches off?
If so, he has done it correctly.

The problem with the (old) topic that you have commented on is that the neon light stays on with the switch on, or off.

so are mine all wrong

Not sure what you mean.

Do the neon lights go off when you turn the switches off?
If so, he has done it correctly.

The problem with the (old) topic that you have commented on is that the neon light stays on with the switch on, or off.

hello thanks for reply no they stay on plus the numbnut wired the washing machine to the dishwasher lol should have done it myself, thanks very much i will be ringing the sparky to put it right

regards maria

Sponsored Links
No, but not noticing or putting it right on the functional test does, as does saying "yeah its right its just letting you know there is power going to the sockets".

Got it the wrong way round AND in the clip he's using 2.5 cable....

I see BAS's comment on that video and he is spot on to lay into the Swindon sparky. I can only guess he is supplying a 2kW oven direct from the CU. Love the earth sleeving ...1 size fits all. Really bad terminations, how long before a conductor pops out? and its certainly not future proofed for someone who may want to go all electric in the future. What's the bet that he's supplying an electric oven and hob from th 2.5 cable
Deffo misleading people by not discussing load size, cable size, breaker size etc
I bet that job never got notified

That's dreadful. I just hope he's not out there in the real world touting for business :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back