45 amp dp switch with neon light for cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just tried to replace my old cooker switch with a new one.the problem i have is now the neon light is always on.the old one never did this.i thought i might have bought a faulty switch but when i replaced it back to the old one it did the same.(neon light on)when you flip the switch the cooker does go on and off.has anyone any ideas.its wired correctly i even moved the earth wire from bottom of unit to top and back with no joy.it is double earthed and double live and neutral.
HELP!!Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you've got the mains feed connected to the load side of the switch.
The makers cunningly mark the switches "Load" and "supply" to make it almost impossible for someone to do what you have done.

Its easy to fix. Leave the earth wires where they are but swop over the live and neutrals.

yes but its "supplying" the cooker, therefore he's connected it right . . .

<runs and hides>

Sponsored Links
Yes, you've got the mains feed connected to the load side of the switch.
The makers cunningly mark the switches "Load" and "supply" to make it almost impossible for someone to do what you have done.

Its easy to fix. Leave the earth wires where they are but swop over the live and neutrals.
I find it almost impossible to thank you.job done.no need for the sarky comment.anyway,the reason i asked the question was to get a answer to my problem,not to have someone try to take the pee.oh yeah, Thanks :rolleyes:

It not unusual. If I only know. After the tears, it might have stopped you being a Sexbomb with Delilah.

As for taking the pee, well wiring up a 45a rated switch in an incorrect way, sort of deserves it.

For future ref: Load is the equipment, supply is the juice from CU :D

It not unusual. If I only know. After the tears, it might have stopped you being a Sexbomb with Delilah.

As for taking the pee, well wiring up a 45a rated switch in an incorrect way, sort of deserves it.

For future ref: Load is the equipment, supply is the juice from CU :D
sooo sorry, thought this site was to answer diy problems.if i knew how i wouldnt be asking.

sooo sorry, thought this site was to answer diy problems.if i knew how i wouldnt be asking.

It is, but if you undertake electrical work without really understanding what you're doing, then come here expecting assistance free of charge to rectify your screwups, you need to be able to tolerate a little bit of sarcasm without throwing your toys out of the pram.

It is, but if you undertake electrical work without really understanding what you're doing, then come here expecting assistance free of charge to rectify your screwups, you need to be able to tolerate a little bit of sarcasm without throwing your toys out of the pram.
i thought the whole idea is to give out free advice.if i wanted to pay for it i would get a spark.if it bothers you giving out free advice,dont. :confused:

Given that you showed that you don't actually even understand what a switch does, but still thought it would be OK for you to try and fiddle with your wiring, I don't think that "The makers cunningly mark the switches "Load" and "supply" to make it almost impossible for someone to do what you have done" was particularly offensive, or merited anything more from you than a wry smile.

Buy you are making yourself look more and more of a tw@ the more you go on about it.

ban-all-sheds";p="1409072 said:
Given that you showed that you don't actually even understand what a switch does, but still thought it would be OK for you to try and fiddle with your wiring, I don't think that "The makers cunningly mark the switches "Load" and "supply" to make it almost impossible for someone to do what you have done" was particularly offensive, or merited anything more from you than a wry smile.

Buy you are making yourself look more and more of a tw@ the more you go on about it.[/quote :LOL:

Forums are like a bunch of mates down the pub aren't they. Some guys are having a bad day, another may always be grumpy, but mostly they are not really trying to be mean it's just the workds come out wrong sometimes.
Now, do I dare start my own thread on a cooker point question?

Lighten up mate. It was probably your confident claim that 'its wired correctly' that provoked the gentle mocking :). And that's all it was - don't get too upset! If you can't handle that and laugh at yourself, maybe this forum isn't the place or you. Or any other internet forum, for that matter. Or the world in general... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back