5 Day Bricklaying courses, anyone been on one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone been on a bricklaying course, and would they recommend one?

Here are a few examples:
http://www.goldtrowel.org/bricktutorial14.htm
http://www.ableskills.co.uk/
http://www.steptotraining.co.uk/construction/bricklaying.shtml#1week
http://www.buildingskillsacademy.co.uk/bricklaying.html
http://www.diyskills.co.uk/brick.shtml

Reason for asking: I was quoted £60K for a 41m2 extention in West Yorkshire, I want to save some money on the project. I may only build up to the DPC (then let the pros take over) but that should save at least the cost of a bricklaying course. (of course I'll do the footing too)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A pal of mind went on a plastering week course an really picked it up , not too professional standard by any means but enough for him to replaster his flats he was quoted loads an did every room himself ,

regarding your brick course standard , make sure that you tell the course trainers why you are going on the course an will you be ok too building regs standards by the end of it to build up to the DPC ?

without being rude , you may never of touched a brick an be hopeless ,? have you done a bit of brickwork before ? brick barbie ,maybe ?

Just watched the DVD on bricklaying from:
http://www.ableskills-dvd.co.uk/bricklaying-dvd.htm

If the DVD is a anything to gauge the quality of the course by I'd say definately don't go to ableskills! All they appear to do is build a garden wall all week!

On the other hand I've been speaking to Trade Skills 4 U http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/index.asp?pageID=75
and they have been very helpful. They said a recent student brought his Conservatory plans with him they improved his design and then had him build part of it. Showing how to place DPC, windows, etc.

I cant see you learning that much in 5 days to do the work your on about, i dont think you will save a penny may probably end up costing the course fee or worse still put any potential builders off and mess up any guarantee the builders can offer.

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:
I cant see you learning that much in 5 days to do the work your on about, i dont think you will save a penny may probably end up costing the course fee or worse still put any potential builders off and mess up any guarantee the builders can offer.

Yes, that very thought had crossed my mind.

Trouble is I've lost all faith in finding a good builder, 5 colleagues at work and all the neighbours say don't use theirs. There must be good ones but finding one you trust is another matter. A knew a few brickies when I used to work on building sites but that was 20 years ago.

A friend's taking their builder to court, the builder said "building control was more trouble than it's worth" and promptly laid 300mm of concrete straight onto tarmac with no DPM or insulation. Then had the cheek to charge them for digging it all out and relaying it.

you will hear hundreds of horror stories, not a lot of people talk of good builders. "5 colleagues at work and all the neighbours say don't use theirs." so dont . ;) "I was quoted £60K for a 41m2 extention in West Yorkshire, I want to save some money on the project." sounds a bit different too "Trouble is I've lost all faith in finding a good builder" theres not many good cheap builders about :LOL:

Quote "A friend's taking their builder to court, the builder said "building control was more trouble than it's worth" and promptly laid 300mm of concrete straight onto tarmac with no DPM or insulation. Then had the cheek to charge them for digging it all out and relaying it."

carry on, He obviously isnt a builder. Probably a guy who thinks he is. I mean come on common scense would tell you not to do things like that and BCO wouldnt let it go. If you called them in for the inspection prior to pouring and he saw that :eek: DIY mate so long as you arent in a rush.

Hi Mick,

Just been reading posts on your selfbuild, looks like you've done an excellent job.

I'm at the planning approval stage but intend to do as much as I can myself. Do you have any tips you can share? I tried to contact you off forum via your MSN account with some specific questions. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Cheers

Carry on,

I picked up your e mail and i have responded.

I'm at work at the moment and dont have access to my e mail so if you have responded i cant check till tonight.

here is the inside view of the new "Entertainments room" as we call it :)

room.jpg

I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say " i did ALL that myself "

Plastering and all...

had a few cock up's along the way, like putting a screw through the windor bay poles that came through to the outside :oops: Not sure if you saw that post but they are all on here somewhere.

it has been good fun, i can recomend DIY'ing so llong as you are quite competant and have time on your hands..

A few mates come in handy as well especially when you are lifting the huge roof purlings and hips into place.

Go on go for it. If you start to struggle with anything you could always get a PRO in to help with that bit then carry on.

I also did all my own plumbing and electrical work. If you are planning to do that, tell your BCO guy up front.

Good luck

Mick.

I went on a weekend bricklaying course a couple of years ago. Lasted until tea-break the first day before leaving. The guy was a great brickie, but a rubbish teacher.

I spent the rest of the weekend practising on my extension. I knocked the first two courses down, because they mortar joint was very uneven, started again and never looked back.

On my new house I haven't got time to do it all, so I'm completing floor slab, including brick work to DPC. I can now manage 300 bricks a day, which I'm plenty chuffed with.
I've had three builders look at the job who are all happy to work off of my slab.

I'd say go for it. Take your time setting it out, and getting your corners right. However the greatest tip I can give is to get the right consistency of mortar - it really is all in the mix!

Carryon,

There are a few VERY basic rules that will mean you simply CAN NOT have uneven joints or loose the level.

buy yourself some corner blocks from your local builders merchant and a good brick line.

you simply start at each corner and build those first. until you get a little more practice i suggest you build lets say 4 courses on your first corner, you then measure from the footing to the top of the last brick.

You then go to the second corner start laying your bricks until you get to the 4th corse again. measure the height again. You should be aiming to get the same height. If it isn't start again or if its only a few mm take off the last 2 rows and either increase or decrease the bed until you have the correct height.

Once you have done that you get your corner blocks and brick line and position the line at the top of the first brick on one of the corners and run the line the full length of the wall you are building and fit the second block. You then continue your stretcher bond working to the line.

If you do this, the bricks will all be level and in a dead straight line. Check for plumb with your level and ensure your corners are dead plumb before you start the stretcher bond though.

Use trench blocks also bellow ground. Saves a LOT of messing about. you can loose little discrepancies in level under the ground has it wont be seen, but make sure your facing brick is spot on at least 2 courses below the finished paving level so when you do come out it will be spot on.

Good luck

Mick.

Mick Leek said:
Carryon,

There are a few VERY basic rules that will mean you simply CAN NOT have uneven joints or loose the level. Mick.

You can, what are you measuring off?

Mick Leek said:
you simply start at each corner

Only after setting out, squarely and with linear gauge

Mick Leek said:
Once you have done that you get your corner blocks and brick line and position the line at the top of the first brick on one of the corners and run the line the full length of the wall you are building and fit the second block. You then continue your stretcher bond working to the line.

What happens if you havent set out to linear gauge? We end up with cuts in each run!

Mick Leek said:
If you do this, the bricks will all be level and in a dead straight line. Check for plumb with your level and ensure your corners are dead plumb before you start the stretcher bond though.

Bricks will only be level if the corners are levelelled with a laser level or a water level. Strecher bond going through will not work if its not linear gauge

tawelfryn

Im going off personal experience.

I assume you are a brickie and feel ****ed off by what i have said. What would have you done 150 years ago before bloody electricity was invented never mind laser levels.

I also used a laser level to set everything up. If you read the guys original post you will read that he has already stated that he has set his levels and so on. I am NOT a bloody brickie, but i still managed to build my own extension. Im simply trying to give the guy a bit of advice seeing no one else want's to.

If you feel what i have written is incorrect, why the **** couldn't you have posted a sensible reply from the start.

I am simply trying to say that brick laying can be done by most people "all be it slowly" but if you have a simple bit of common sense then it isn't difficult.

If you think i am quoting wrong then instead of sitting on the fence, HELP the guy. He simply want's to have a go and save a few quid.

Jesus is it that hard.

I will no longer try to help anyone on this forum.

The majority of the guys on here are sound ( thanks guys for the help you gave me) but guys like you who sit there waiting for someone who is trying to help a fellow DIY'er and then pounce **** me off.

Note i state the DIY'er........ i am NO pro but i still managed it..

Good bye and thanks to all who helped, but this will be the last post you get from me...

carryon.

You have my e mail address if you still want to talk "Mate" e mail me.

Mick Leek said:
tawelfryn

Im going off personal experience.

I assume you are a brickie and feel p****d off by what i have said. What would have you done 150 years ago before b****y electricity was invented never mind laser levels.

I also used a laser level to set everything up. If you read the guys original post you will read that he has already stated that he has set his levels and so on. I am NOT a b****y brickie, but i still managed to build my own extension. Im simply trying to give the guy a bit of advice seeing no one else want's to.

If you feel what i have written is incorrect, why the **** couldn't you have posted a sensible reply from the start.

I am simply trying to say that brick laying can be done by most people "all be it slowly" but if you have a simple bit of common sense then it isn't difficult.

If you think i am quoting wrong then instead of sitting on the fence, HELP the guy. He simply want's to have a go and save a few quid.

Jesus is it that hard.

I will no longer try to help anyone on this forum.The majority of the guys on here are sound ( thanks guys for the help you gave me) but guys like you who sit there waiting for someone who is trying to help a fellow DIY'er and then pounce p**s me off.

Note i state the DIY'er........ i am NO pro but i still managed it..

Good bye and thanks to all who helped, but this will be the last post you get from me...

carryon.

You have my e mail address if you still want to talk "Mate" e mail me.
why? mik some people are a matter of fact and im glad your helping rather than asking :LOL: Youve built a bigger and better extention than me and for a DIYer ;) dont stop posting because of a post if i stopped posting when someone ****ed me off i wouldnt of got to my 1000 post :LOL:

I certainly upset you Mick. But no I am not ****ed of with you as you say in your post, just trying to correct things a little. Yes I am a bricky.
Mick Leek said:
What would have you done 150 years ago before b****y electricity was invented never mind laser levels.

As I mention, water levels, or if your an experienced bricky, with a 1200mm level, but believe me, someone with out experience getting things level over a big distance, will "let the bubble go past in the morning and let it come back in the afternoon" Things will start going wrong pretty quick, so a water level is the best.

Mick Leek said:
If you read the guys original post you will read that he has already stated that he has set his levels and so on. I am NOT a b****y brickie, but i still managed to build my own extension. Im simply trying to give the guy a bit of advice seeing no one else want's to.

Untrue Mick, levels have not been said they are set. As for advice, I have
replied to Carry's other posts and we have all had a good discussion on other subjects.

Mick Leek said:

Bricklaying can be done by most people if they take their time and want to build a little flower border or a barbeque, but we are talking about building up to dpc on an extension, without prior experience, and, the original post states by going on a 5 day course is this feasible? I think not, you state your trying to save him money, well by doing foundations and footings without experience or someone who knows to help, will end up costing money, and with posts that are not quite right, WILL lose him money. You state about building corners
and running in. Ok this is correct if your above dpc and running in the superstructure, when the slab and dpc is level, then we are laughing. This is about footings UP to dpc, different ball game, Datums must be set around the proposed dwelling, for a level dpc, we are gauging DOWNWARDS so our top two courses will come nice and level to the dpc.
Not to mention, this has to be done in a trench, which is more awkward. It has to be set out SQUARE, using the 3:4:5 method, again in a trench. DIAGONALS have to be checked.
You mention build one corner, then build another, How in a trench without it setting out properly, do you know that your bricks will run linear gauge? Eg from one corner, starting at a stretcher, 20 bricks 4490mm. We don't want cuts in the runs, it looks awful. Also the original post states to get the "pros" in, Believe me they WILL not be happy if this is not all done correctly, again if its not, they will charge a higher price to get out of the problems.

Oh and also theres no need to swear, and as for saying its your last post, thats what I would expect from my 13 year old son :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back