6181Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do people class 6181Y cable as i.e double insulated or insulated and sheathed cable?

I have always thought of them as Insulated and sheathed cable not double insulated, am I wrong?

Sponsored Links
What do people class 6181Y cable as i.e double insulated or insulated and sheathed cable?

I have always thought of them as Insulated and sheathed cable not double insulated, am I wrong?

They are the same thing, but the correct term is double insulated.

An example of insulated and sheathed cable is T&E, but T&E cables are not double insulated.

If your going to input could you please point out the difference between double insulated and insulated and sheathed cable. My logic is that the internal coloured "insulation" is to insulate the conductor and that the grey "sheath" is for mechanical protection and not for insulation. This is my theory could you confirm or dis prove this please.

I feel that this is an interesting thing to know, hence the thread!!!

(sorry this was a response to a post that ha disappeared. not directed at holmslaw)

6181Y, is another term for Meter tails. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The code 6181Y was an industry-wide Part Number, used in common by multiple cable makers, to make it easy to identify or compare different companies cables in the past.

Sponsored Links
They are the same thing, but the correct term is double insulated.

An example of insulated and sheathed cable is T&E, but T&E cables are not double insulated.

If they are the same thing how can you disregard T&E as not being "double insulated". Could you please elaborate.

do you mean that flat T&E cable is not "double insulated due to the fact that the sheath covers all conductors insulation and not rap right round like in 6181Y?

I personally think that the correct term is insulated and sheathed cable and not double insulated.

I think the difference is the grey sheath is insulation and not for mechanical protection hence double insulated.

How sad. What on earth difference does it make to anything?

Kind Regards, John.

Didn't realize that asking a question was "sad". Might not be interesting to you but I'm sure you know or would want to know stuff that I might find "sad"! :rolleyes:

If every one was the same it would be a very boring place JohnW2!!!

I think the difference is the grey sheath is insulation and not for mechanical protection hence double insulated.

Are you suggesting that the sheath does not over mechanical protection?

I can't believe I've passed EICR's with cables on show with no mechanical protecting supplying CU's! :LOL:

If they are the same thing how can you disregard T&E as not being "double insulated". Could you please elaborate.
Double negative there! Please elaborate!
How can T&E be double insulated when the earth is covered by the sheath only.

Didn't realize that asking a question was "sad".
I didn't say it was. I just found it sad to see someone whose life is apparently such that (s)he could possibly be interested in the answer to such an irrelevant question. Would you also be interested in a discussion about the 'right' and 'wrong' way to pronounce the word "controversy" ?

Kind Regards, John.

beat me to it riveralt!!!
Vibropedantic, over? offer?
Im not saying it doesnt OFFER any protection just that it is Insulation.

I didn't say it was. I just found it sad to see someone whose life is apparently such that (s)he could possibly be interested in the answer to such an irrelevant question. Would you also be interested in a discussion about the 'right' and 'wrong' way to pronounce the word "controversy" ?

Kind Regards, John.

No, but I think if you find this thread so "sad" then why comment on it unless you can give an answer? Some people might say that people spending time on a forum is "sad". I am not one of them but to say that because i would like to know some thing that you feel irrelevant that make me "sad".

Come on guys serious answers only please. If you don't appreciate the thread please refrain from posting.

Another thing that is a bit controversial is the "kind regards John" as your signature!

Insulation = A material or substance used in insulating.
Sheath = A close-fitting tubular covering that protects a cable.

Hence why I think insulated (insulation) and sheath (protection of the cable).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back