6A terminal block to leave light switch always on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light switch I want to leave always on as the bulb is a smart bulb which i control with wireless switch. Can I combine common and L1 together using a 6A terminal block and then replace the switch with a blanking cover?

Sponsored Links
Its a smart bulb. If they are going to fail, they tell your SmartPhone app at least 72 hours before they expire.

Same as HAL did regarding the AE-35 unit.

Sponsored Links
Total rubbish. A blank plate is fine.
Indeed.

However, for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading this, I think that a (visible) blank plate (or any other accessory) only creates a safe zone for (as in the OP's case) a cable which has connections/joins within the associated back box.

My personal view (which I think is held by others, and the regs) is that simply attaching a blank plate to a wall (with or without a back box) does not create a safe zone - because it would be only two easy for someone to subsequently remove that blank plate, potentially leaving buried cables not in a safe zone.

Similarly, when a blank plate (or any other accessory) is legitimately defining a safe zone for a cable connected/joined behind it, another cable which is not connected/joined behind that plate cannot 'make use of' part of that safe zone - again, the blank plate (or whatever) and cable creating the safe zone could be subsequently removed, leaving a cable that had been 'sharing' that safe zone no longer in a safe zone.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back